swimming pool security

DandyT

Hoping for someone to shed some light on that age old problem of pool security.  We have a holiday home which is regularly left empty and are about to have pool installed. I've just read in an old message to this forum recommending a rigid, roller shutter- type security cover above all else, but we have been told that the water quality (saltwater pool) may be affected by leaving such a cover in place for long periods. Can any one give me any other advice?  Thanks.

Well, that is an assertion, which I find hard to believe.

If your source would shed some light on why they think that the water quality would be affected then that would be helpful to understand what they are afraid of.

I suspect that they are proffering this opinion (making it up) because they want to sell you another system. Their salt electrolyser will function to its parameters (albeit poor) regardless of the cover is on the pool or not. That is my assertion and some science to back it up.

Personally I would suggest that you treat the person who told you that with the utmost suspicion and avoid doing business with them in future.

Andrew

We have a pool with salt in the water and electrolyser etc (but please don't lets start the 'bet it doesn't work' arguement again though! [:)] )

We have an electric driven roller shutter cover, which is great for security, for keeping the heat in summer, and for overwintering.

The cover does not affect water quality in any way at all, it's just the same as wintering with a bache cover.

Our pool is still covered since approx November, and probably at the end of this month we will open it up, take out the anti-ice floats and start the water turning through the filter for several days to clean it up. Maybe swim in April? it was possible last year for bravehearts

Incidently, only problem with the cover in winter is that all the leaves blow over it, get stuck at one side and sink.....we cure this with a plastic mesh net (sold for putting under plum trees) which goes right over the whole thing, does not blow away, due to its open mesh, and keeps the cover and water free of leaves.

So I think Poolguy is correct....the advice is suspect.

PS  Think about a submerged cover if poss,  ours isn't, it looks fine but would have been neater in the water.

PPS  How much is your pisciniste contemplating to charge you for installation? Our local expert charged some friends a price for installation which is too embarrassing for anyone to admit, I think about 7k !!   However, it is very easy to install, two people (one in the water) for two hours to do ours. You can do it yourself, but watch out for the Prix Anglais !