Anyone with a Chemigem/ JEP controller?

Jonzjob

I have a Chemigem unit controlling the chlor/PH balance for our pool. Installed by Andrew and working well.

The pool pump has always been controlled by an electronic timer that I modified by getting one of the U.K. plug in timers that we bought over with us. I have never liked the electrol/mech timers! This wrked well for 3 years until the timer gave up the ghost. The next timer I tried just did a reset every time the pump switched on. I must add that the timer was only switching a contactor and not the pump it's self.

I know that the Chemigem unit has a facility to run the pump on a timer as well, so I contacted Andrew and he got the connections to do this for me. I have done it now and we have the C/gem not only running the chlor/PH ballance but also the pump. It is a very easy job to do and set up the pump timng. You have 7 timer sets that you can use and that should be OK for almost everyone. There is also a manual over-ride which allows you to either run the pump for an hour or conversely switch it off for an hour.

I have also fitted a 3 way switch, down = run through the timer, centre = off completely and up = run full time. The full time is so that if/when the pool has to be shocked it's a simple job to flick a switch rather than change timings.

We also have a Navitron evacuated tube system that controls the pump. When that activates and runs the pump the C/gem does nothing until the timer cuts in...

If anyone would like any more info then please just ask. I am not a pro anything, correction, I am a pro-retireeee and loving it!!

Interesting!  The JEP was supplied and fitted by Andrew and has an integral pump control facility linked to its internal timer.  So both pump and automatic chemical dosing are always in sync regardless of France's periodic power outages.  And it was easy to fit.  It's so obvious one wonders why the pump control facility was not implemented when the JEP was first installed.  Are there any disadvantages to what seems a good arrangement?  Did Andrew explain any pros and cons for deciding whether to use the JEP capability or not?

I personally don't see any down side to having the 2 parts used. It has a backup battery in the C/gem so it keeps the timing perfect!!

All you need to fit it is a X point and a small flat screwdriver, a spade connector to connect to the relay in the controller and a pair of wire cutters to cut and strip the electrifical string...

I would not contemplate switching the pump direct from the controller as the start current for something like a 1.5 hp pump would be too much for the relay in the controller. As I said I have ours switching a contactor so the only load is the contactor coil.

Where abouts in France are you Ty?

Most of the pool systems in Australia are run that way - Using the Chemigem as the controller of the pump as well as the Chlor/pH balance as its capabilities are superior to most Coffre Electric Clocks.

However it has been the habit of most pool installations in France to use the Coffre Electric to do this job, so we normally don't interfere with that as in your case Tygwenn. But in dire circumstances such as yours John there is no need to replace the Clock when its jiggered when there is a excellent timer controller already on the wall. You will have noticed that its easier to select the times for the pump to run using the nice big button then those annoying little peg affairs on the clock.

Anyway, thanks for the posting and glad that you have got a result.

Andrew