Filtration

loa

The pool is 6 x12 (salt) with a 2 meter deep end, built two seasons ago. Volume 125 m3,   The filter is an Astra 99 with a flow capacity of 22m3/hr.  Valve gear is Astral pools also   The jets appear to be jetting and the skimmers and sump sucking.  I hoover it and backwash regulary .  Ph, clorine and salt levels are good.    I've used floculant and bought a robot

The water still stays cloudy.   

The sand appears to be 30cm below the top of the rose

After a couple of days rain when I didn't hoover.  The water was clear and the floor dirty, on hoovering there was junk coming through the jets and made the water cloudy.  So I'm guessing filter but quite what I haven't a clue as there is no documentaion with the pool.

Any suggestions

ChrisE

[quote user="Jonzjob"]

Sorry, just re-read that and did it properly??? I take it that it is sand and not Zeolite?

Sorry Jon it's only sand, but I did wonder about the level

[/quote]

Hi

A sand filter only filters to around 30micron so you will get the small particles going back in the pool

that’s why Floc is used to gather the small particles together so that the sand filter can remove them.

Try putting the filter on waste and then vac the bits from the bottom, you will have to top up with water but you will get rid of the problem.

Later when you have the funds change the sand to Zeolite which filters a lot finer,

chrish

What should the level of sand be ? At the moment it looks about 30 cm below the top of the rose.  What cost are we talking about to change to Zeolite and where's the best place to get it from

ChrisE

I can't remember the proper height, but a foot below seems a bit low.

Poolguy should be able to help you with the Zeolite when he appears??

Edit :- If you do put more sand in you must use 20 grade pool filter sand, but I would waite for Poolguy. As it's the 14th tomorrow he may be on holliday??

[quote user="loa"]

The pool is 6 x12 (salt) with a 2 meter deep end, built two seasons ago. Volume 125 m3,   The filter is an Astra 99 with a flow capacity of 22m3/hr.  Valve gear is Astral pools also   The jets appear to be jetting and the skimmers and sump sucking.  I hoover it and backwash regulary .  Ph, clorine and salt levels are good.    I've used floculant and bought a robot

The water still stays cloudy.   

The sand appears to be 30cm below the top of the rose

After a couple of days rain when I didn't hoover.  The water was clear and the floor dirty, on hoovering there was junk coming through the jets and made the water cloudy.  So I'm guessing filter but quite what I haven't a clue as there is no documentaion with the pool.

Any suggestions

ChrisE

[/quote]

Chris

According to the information you have posted you have a 5 HOUR circulation time. That is the time it takes for all the water in the pool to go through the filtration process. This is not ideal as I recommend you should have 3 HOUR circulation time, but this shortage is not causing your water to be cloudy.

By far a worse matter, as mentioned already is that your sand filter is filtering at its best 30 micron but it could be a bad as 40 micron which means that large amounts of particulates are going round a round in your pool water and are not removed during filtration. Its easy to solve by replaceing with zeolite and then you have the BEST filtration you can get. (PM me if you want more information). When you install this product you will no longer need Flocculant and your water will become clear within a day or two. The correct level for sand or zeolite in your filter is to cover the top horizontal tube inside the filter, or find out the sand weight capacity of the filter , hen divid by 0.6 (60%) and that is correct level for zeolite.

However, you have not let us know what are your chemistry levels as they too are imporatnt to keep your water clear. If you can test the 4 major parameters and publish the results ( these have been discussd in previous posts.)

Hope that this helps and I will send you a PM

Andrew