Cloudy water in swimming pool

Due to problems with a pump break down and leak caused by frost, I was not able to start treating the water until after it had gone green. Since then dispite adjusting the ph etc, adding algicide the water remains resolutely milky/cloudy. The pool is a salt one, This morning I have tested the water, and all appears correct expect there is very little chlorine dispite my having heavily shocked.

I would appreciate any advice, and thank you in advance.

Jeanne

Hi Jeanne,

Shocking a pool is a process not a product and you are not done yet. If you put a lot of chlorine in the pool but there is very little left then add some more and add it as frequently as you need to maintain the shock level.

Now the usual question how do you test your water (dip strips, drops, tablets?) and what are those levels? What do you use for shock, liquid javel 9.6% from a brico or gallets? 

What size is your pool and what is it made from (Liner or tile?) and what type of filtration? Is it a Dessy, Magiline or Waterair?

Sorry for the questions but they are very relevant.

Hi Théiere,

Our pool is 12 m x 5 m or 51/2 m, it has a plastic liner and is a Magiline. Yesterday we put in 7 ltrs of Brico javel, (it says Extrait de javel, formulae concentret @ 5.6% de Chloe actif 36%). I have just done a test with a strip, The ph is low, the chlorine is low alkalinity between low and ok. What should be my next step.

Thanks for your time, and help must appreciated.

Jeanne

What about the Total Alkalinity and the cyanuric acid levels? The TA is important to keep the PH level correct.

I have just got around to sorting our pool due to having a partial fusion operation on my right wrist. Still can't use it for much after 7 weeks! Our pool was green and no bottom in sight. Shocked to 4.7ppm with gallets and kept shocked with a repeat of the gallets. The TA was almost single figures after all thewinter rain and I have so far put 10 kilos of bicarb of soda in and will see how close it is to 180ppm tomorrow.

At the moment it is still very cloudy, but the green is almost gone. I also have to check the Zeolite in the filter to make sure it hasn't 'channeled' and that should be fun one handed. The filter has a clear, dommed screw top!

As a matter of interest, the bicarb I use is from the local Coop and is animal grade. Several years back I phoned the makers, rench and the biggest in the world. I spoke to one of the tech guys and asked him what the difference was between the animal and human grades are? His reply, the price and the packing line. They split at the end of the production line. 25 Kg  =  11.50€

[quote user="foxyloxy25"]Hi Théiere, Our pool is 12 m x 5 m or 51/2 m, it has a plastic liner and is a Magiline. Yesterday we put in 7 ltrs of Brico javel, (it says Extrait de javel, formulae concentret @ 5.6% de Chloe actif 36%). I have just done a test with a strip, The ph is low, the chlorine is low alkalinity between low and ok. What should be my next step. Thanks for your time, and help must appreciated. Jeanne[/quote]

Jeanne that will be 9.6% and 7 litres will take the chlorine to around 10ppm, Your next step should be to add more chlorine to take it back up to a min of 10ppm.  Keep adding until the chlorine will maintain but without full testing you will struggle and most likely spend more on chemicals as it's all a bit guesswork. To make your whole pool ownership easier you should dump the strips and get a good tester, one that measures cyanuric acid and calcium hardness too.

Over the last two weeks I have received many emails from people with pool problems, the common factor is they are Desjoyaux and Magiline (Waterair haven't cropped up) which have bloc type pump and filtration. These units manage to work (just) until the slightest thing goes out and then they struggle to get back in shape compared to how quickly a conventional pool will clear up.  If I were charging for advice I would be very happy and grateful to the 3 worst pool companies in France for keeping me earning but I am not charging so it's getting slightly annoying how many of these bloc filtration pools are going bad. 

[quote user="Jonzjob"]What about the Total Alkalinity and the cyanuric acid levels? The TA is important to keep the PH level correct.

The TA was almost single figures after all thewinter rain and I have so far put 10 kilos of bicarb of soda in and will see how close it is to 180ppm tomorrow.

[/quote]

Vinyl liner Jonz? what ever are you doing with 180ppm TA? you'll buffer the pH ok but at around 8.5 so you'll just end up adding more acid to keep the pH in range. I run mine around 29ppm which prevents pH drifting upwards.  Of course you will struggle to measure TA that low with a Scuba+.

No problem Jeanne, just keep going at it you'll get there. See if the budget allows for another tester then we can know your cyanuric acid levels ALK etc.  Stand alone CYA testers are available and as that is one of the things which has a dramatic effect on chlorine along with the pH, it is near essential you know accurately what the levels are.  Dip strips just cannot measure this accurately, by example a pool I visited last month recorded the usual 30-50ppm CYA with dip strips.  I tested it with a brand new top of the range photometer it was 110ppm a very different pool to look after!

The 180ppm was the figure given to me by another pool pro on here TP. The Scube+ will measure down to about 20ppm so I'll have a look at it this morning before I do anything else. Ta for that gem [:D]

I also think that the spider seal in the multi port valve is leaking so the top will have to come off and either be replaced or silocon grease and refit, I hope! Then to TRY to unscrew the filter top and stir up the Zeolite...

Oh, the joys of owning a nice simple thing like a pool[:-))]