Health care changes

Hello, some may well remember me from queries whilst researching our move - well - we have now moved!!!  We are well settled (3 weeks) near Bagnoles De L'Orne in Normandy.  I have now heard of changes to the health system in France and gathe that after E121 expires then no cover.  Can anyone please tell me what happens if you are in reciept of Incapacity Benefit as I have been led to believe that my E121 will be valied until my retirement.  Does this mean that I will be eligable for a Carte Vitale and be a member of CPAM as before.  In other words no changes.

Do the French Goverment really wish to lose the boost to their economy that they recieve from British Residents, after all they all bring in thousands of pounds into the French economy and apart from health take almost no benefits out of the system.  I bet the British Goverment wish that they were in the same position eh!

Thanks as allways for all the help that exists in these pages!

The following advice is only general and there is only one sure way of getting an answer for your particular circumstances and that is from the authorities: DWP re E121 and CPAM re French position.

All indications are that persons in possession of an E121 will be unaffected by the recent changes.  This makes since as the UK is underwriting the cost. We are all still waiting for a definitive policy statement from the French Health Ministry.

In general the E121 is issued to people who have reached the UK's normal retirement age.  It can, however, be issued before normal retirement age - as in your case - to people on Incapacity Benefit and is valid for as long as UK's DWP says it is valid.  As with all Incapacity Benefit cases, some are subject to ongoing medical checks from time-to-time to confirm the Incapacity is still present while other cases fall into the exemption from the medical check class.  Obviously you will know which category you are in.  DWP can and have asked Incapacity Benefit clients living in France to undergo medical checks.  If you are in that category you could check with DWP as to when/if that might be.

Having said all this, and as much as we all on here like to give accurate information, there is a danger to applying general rules to all cases.  We don't see all the facts and the ONLY way to check ones status is on a case-by-case basis with the authorities.