Retirement age in France

My understanding is that, except in special circumstances, a French National must retire at 60.

My E106 expires a few weeks before my 60th birthday.

I look a lot older, but I've had a hard life and a big paper round !

If I go looking for work and find a job would I be allowed to take the job at 60.

Its just that today I heard of someone ( an Expat ) that was refused a Security Sociale number at 61 and so had to turn the job down

Joshua[:D]

[quote user="Joshua"]
If I go looking for work and find a job would I be allowed to take the job at 60.
Its just that today I heard of someone ( an Expat ) that was refused a Security Sociale number at 61 and so had to turn the job down

[/quote]

Joshua, I am very impressed (and intrigued) that someone was offered a job at 61 in France. What kind of job was it, and who was the employer offering it? Are you thinking of looking for the same kind of work?

The reason I ask is that I have never heard of anyone over 55 finding a job here in France, which has the worst track record for employment of "older" people. So much so that if you are signing on with ANPE, from 55 onwards, you have a special dispensation from looking for work: they know full well that you don't stand a chance in hell to find anything.

Some people even say that it is very rare to be able to find work if you are over 45. Hard to believe, but I personally know of several well qualified French people in their 40's, who have a very tough time finding employment, even though they are quite versatile..

So what is the secret? What line of work are you considering? (this is a genuine question, I am not trying to make smart comments, by the way)

Hi,

The job was labouring work / second man for a UK Born Fosse Septic / General Builder ( 12+ years here )

The 61 year old had helped this guy with a few small jobs and must have gained some respect etc

Perhaps he turned up on time and grafted.

Lots of work came along for the Builder, so a job was created.

They went along to the SS Offices to register and was told NO because of his age.

I was hoping to do the same because I have the skills to build a house from the ground up and I'm still fit and able

I'm getting a reputation ( I hope ) to fixing all sorts of things for friends. I'm not a cowboy builder and take pride in my work

[quote user="Joshua"]My understanding is that, except in special circumstances, a French National must retire at 60.
My E106 expires a few weeks before my 60th birthday.
I look a lot older, but I've had a hard life and a big paper round !

[/quote]

I believe the age limit is the minimum age at which you can withdraw a pension and beyond which an employer can no longer force you to work, not necessarily the age at which you must retire.

If I understand your situation correctly, you are more or less self-employed, and belong to the construction industry, where there is a big shortage of labour. Therefore, I don't think age is a problem.

Thank you for your explanations Joshua. No wonder I was perplexed, the building trade is not something I know much about or  a trade where I could ever be much use![:D]

I hope somehow you can still get the job you want, and can do, it seems a shame to be prevented from doing it.