I put the final touches to my comprehensive assurance application this morning, having been refused an E106 earlier this year when I was working for a UK employer, but living here (I did a small amount of admin here in France using email/internet and that disbarred me from UK E106).

Anyway. I left that job last Friday and thought I would give E106 application one more try before I spent 3000 euros on assurance for my and my husband. Well what a surprise. It seems we are indeed both entitled to E106 cover till Jan 2010 as we both have full contibution records. Gosh. It pays to ask.

Albert:

The usual qualifying criteria for an E106 is 2 full tax years worth of

employee NI contributions in the previous 3 years, self employed or voluntary

contributions do not count IIRC. An E106 lasts for 2 years counting from January to January so timing can be crucial, apply in December for instance and you'll only get 13 months !

Having said that, and this is where your suggestion of a few month's extra work comes from I think, I've heard that it's possible to get an E106 which lasts for 2.5 years but I'm unsure of the mechanism by which this can occur. Balanced against the 13 month scenario it suggests that there is some "window of opportunity" during which it is most advantageous to apply but I have no idea when that might be.

liz89:

It seems a tad unfair that the little bit of work you did in France for your UK employer disbarred you from the E106.

I may be wrong but I suspect that what has happened is that technically, as you were peforming work for them in France, your employer should have set up a French operation for you to work through, part of which would have been to pay all the neccessary French dues, taxes and health service contributions etc. etc. in which case you would have been in CPAM and therefore have no need for an E106. HMRC or DWP may have assumed this to be so, hence the refusal.

If this was the case I hope there will be no repercussions on you, or your now ex employer, if the French authorities discover this little bit of illegal activity [Www]

As I say though, I may be way off base...........................[blink]

Anyway, you've qualified now so as they say, all's well that ends well, although unfortunately it's only a temporary reprieve of course as you'll have to start paying for yourself when the E106 runs out in 2010 assuming you won't have been in France for 5 years by then that is [:(]