Is an agency the solution?

Fumanzoku

In light of recent discussions regarding problem tenants, it seems that, particularly for absentee landlords such as myself, employing an agent would have obvious advantages. Personally, I decided not to do this when I learnt that none of the local agencies were any good; they'd take the rent and their percentage, but would do little else, not even trying to get new tenants, they were even unreliable in showing tenants you found round the property, and would do little or nothing to sort out any subsequent problems.

What are peoples' experiences of using an agency for long-term rents? What minimum services can we demand from them? What is a reasonable percentage to pay them? Are they worth employing - in France?

• 4 weeks later...
From our own personal point of view the answer is yes, simply because they are in situ and you are obviously a very long way away. If things go well, then they don't earn their keep - taking 8% and only having to bank the money and provide a statement at the end of each month: but in a case where things can go drastically wrong, as they have done to us, then it is essential to have someone in the area to sort out the tangle that bad tenants leave. See my other posting today. If we can be of any additional help to you, please privately em us and we can give you the benefit of our experiences good and bad. I have to add that just recently, we have had three sets of tenants in four years, all of them French and all of them seemingly reliable, clean and honest which is more than could be said for the tenants from Portsmouth!

[quote user="Evianers"]From our own personal point of view the answer is yes, simply because they are in situ and you are obviously a very long way away. If things go well, then they don't earn their keep - taking 8% and only having to bank the money and provide a statement at the end of each month: but in a case where things can go drastically wrong, as they have done to us, then it is essential to have someone in the area to sort out the tangle that bad tenants leave. See my other posting today. If we can be of any additional help to you, please privately em us and we can give you the benefit of our experiences good and bad. I have to add that just recently, we have had three sets of tenants in four years, all of them French and all of them seemingly reliable, clean and honest which is more than could be said for the tenants from Portsmouth![/quote]

Hi

I think you'll find that 8% represents a bargain.

In my area the commision is 10% -20% depending on level of service.

Peter