BCG VACCINATIONS

treblou

HI Can anyone help, we are looking at moving to France later this year, subject to selling our UK home. I understand that French children have BCG jabs at around 6 years old. My chaps are 7, 10 and 12 should thay be jabbed before we move out or is there a system whereby they will catch up with any vaccines they have not had once we arrive in France. I would not want them to slip the net and not be vaccinated.

My boys are aged 6, 4 and 6 months and my GP said on Tuesday that there was an 18 month wait here in Surrey for a TB jab which isn't much use since we're moving over to France permantly in September! My husband was out in the Charente last week registering the two eldest boys with the Marie for school and took their "red" books with him to prove that they'd had their MMR etc etc jabs but explained that they hadn't had their TB ones yet and they didn't seem too worried. We are now going to write to the school to confirm their places and also to state that we can't get the TB jabs done in the UK and will have to wait until we're in France and hope that this is okay.

Never thought about this one! Our daughter has just turned 11 yrs and has been in the local school since last September. No one has asked to see any documents, such as birth certificate or vaccination details. I too would be interested as to what we should do re BCG jab as, if memory serves me right, this used to be done about first year in secondary. Our daughter will go on to secondary after this summer. By the way, in the short time she has been here, her command of the language has amazed us and, I think, herself! She has totally settled down, enjoying school (her school work has improved greatly), made friends and is a relaxed and happy girl!

• 1 month later...
As both my daughters are home educated, and therefore not included in the schools vaccination program, I asked my GP about their BCG jabs, ready for our move to France in September. He told me that it had only just been re-introduced after a 3 year absence and there was no way the girls could have the jabs, as the vaccine is produced in quantities to cover the schools requirements. He did say he would write to the Chest Clinic at our local hospital (where they treat people more at risk) but I've heard nothing. He also said that the vaccine has not changed since it was introduced at the beginning of the 20th century! so didn't think that it was protecting us much anyway.

I hope he's right.

Sue

Hi Treblou

We are moving to the Gers in September and approached our local GP in Surrey about 5 weeks ago about BCG vacs for our eldest daughter He said he would contact the local chest clinic. As we had not heard from them, the GP suggested we ring direct, which we did last week. I am taking my daughter for her vacinations this Thursday !! I see no reason therefore why your GP cannot assist you similarly. Good luck.