now illegal to just have private med. insurance????

Hannah

I was reading on expathealthdirect.co.uk that it is now illegal for French residents to just have private health insurance to cover them and that they now have to pay the French social security payments instead, plus have top up insurance if they want to. However, in the book "Living and Working in France" by David Hampshire it says that it is much cheaper to just have private health insurance, and doesn't mention it being illegal etc.

Can anyone help please??

Thanks.

Hannah

I have private health insurance with a UK company having changed from a French company and that is acceptable to the authorities where I live. We recently made enquiries, in another department, on behalf of someone else and were actually advised that citizens of other countries living in France are allowed to take out private health care insurance. In fact they recommended this because it is cheaper.
Jeff

Please see below the e-mail I received after my posting - I am now even more confused as I have contradicting information now!

"Hello Hannah,

I am the author of the expathealthdirect.co.uk website and I assure you that what I say is correct as laid down in Law DDOS of 4th February 1995 which came into force 1 January 2000. There are certain exceptions to this legislation and the law can be used to one's advantage. I have not read David Hampshires book but I understand that he states that pensioners receive free healthcare. This is also untrue. It is not necessarily chepaer to have private insurance at all and the cover you will receive will never be as comprehensive as that received by the French state along side a "top up" insurance. The latter policies by the way are not subject to this legislation

I have just completed a document "Healthcare in France - A Guide for the Expatriate" which shows how you can affiliate into the French health system via E Forms or residence criteria. It also includes the role of private insurance in the big scheme of things. It is made up as follows:

Background to the French Health System - 3 pages

Affiliation - 18 Pages (6 pages are a translation of an application form). This includes the requirements to obtain a "carte de sjour".

Insurance - 6 Pages

The cost is 9 (nine pounds sterling) including postage. Included in the price is the processing of any follow up of (inevitable!) queries. Clients who receive this document in good time before they arrive in France will gain the most benefit. .

Should you wish to go ahead please send a a cheque made payable to EXPATHEALTHDIRECT LIMITED and send it to me:

630 Place de L'Eouviere
83440 Seillans
France

The document will be despatched by return.

Regards

Peter Owen
Director
Expathealthdirect Limited"