How to gain employment as a Midwife in France

Braveheart

I like many fellow Brits have this romantic notion that I and my family can have a better life across the channel.
I am a qualified nurse and also a Midwife, with special experience in substance misuse and pregnancy, which is my current field of employment. I am very keen to gain employment in France, preferably as a Midwife or Sage-femme !!
If anyone can give me any info on maternity care, hospitals, midwives anything at all to do with this vocation I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Karen
XX

I would have to say that you should be very fluent in French speaking and writing if you are in the medical profession. France like the Uk always needs more medical staff,but the language is an absolute necessity so you don't make serious errors. My english friend who married a frenchman in the 60's has been a nurse here for years and has to converse and write in French only.

Hi Karen,
I am a registered nurse in England, and going on the current trends in nursing in the uk, an ability to speak the English language with any competency does not appear a criteria. In fact, if employing eu nationals a language test cannot be conducted as it is an infringement of human rights. Right or wrong, I would prefer to be competent in my countries language before taking on the care of anyone in a frail, vunerable or compromised position, be it france or england. But with the volume of brits making the move to france, surely a register of british, or english speaking health proffesionals is on the cards,
with interest, sassy.

• 1 month later...
Hello Karen,
I was a UK trained nurse and then a midwife too before moving to France but I didn't even try to look for this kind of work when I first arrived because first I needed to improve my French.It goes without saying that being able to communicate properly is vital. Getting my qualifications verified by the UKCC and then the French equivalent organisation took ages, but in the meantime I made contact with local hospitals and once the paperwork had come through obtained first tempory and then eventually ,permanent contracts. On the whole I found people to be very welcoming and helpful, but I can't exactly say that it has always been easy to get where I am now. It was strange to see some of the different ways of working here at first, but midwives have to be adaptable and the principal of having a baby is the same the world over. I'm just happy to have been able to continue to do a job I love.