One long-term let no longer available

Fumanzoku

This dodgy tenant lark is getting ridiculous. I think the word must've gone out that you can have a nice six month holiday in France by paying no rent and the law will do nowt about it. I'm on my second batch of dodgies now, the last sweet family of five left without paying the last months rent and then went on to repeat that at their next place, andd now my present tenants haven't paid since January - and no, they aren't on welfare, they are an 'economist' and a lawyer, Ha! Add to that my keyholder has just said she no longer wishes to be part of all this as her friend has just blamed her for getting some other tenants who haven't paid since December.

I don't think the risk-reward ratio is worth it anymore, what about the rest of you?

Having just said goodbye to our winter tenants as they move in to their new home after 5 months with us, I was sorry to hear about your woes. We have found it so enjoyable offering longer term lets, but we are on-site and that may make a difference. This is our fourth year as landlords and so far so good. I think if you are letting from afar it may be more difficult. I think people find it harder to refuse to pay what they owe if you are standing in front of them, but we have not encountered any non-payment problems to date. We do however follow the French example and take a good sized deposit, so perhaps that makes a difference also!

I think you've made two valuable points JW. In all the cases I cited above the landlords are absentee, and I'm certain, particularly in my present case, the tenants intended to take advantage of this from the start. And yes, without them accepting a hefty deposit, it's probably better to pass, what do you usually ask for?

It depends on the length of the let and the circumstances, but a minimum of one month's rental as deposit and then rental one month in advance. That way if they did a bunk we would not be greatly out of pocket. The French system often demands two months rent as deposit (bail) which is enough to keep you going while you evict them I guess and enough to make them think twice about absconding!!