Carte Vitale - dependant spouse

Interested

We have been happily living in France since January 04 and did the necessary re applying for the E106. I was not allowed one as I did not pay a full stamp for the last 2 years. Took the E106 my husband got to the local Social security office along with all the necessary documents. Was told I would qualify under by husbands E106 as a dependant spouse. However, now the carte vitale has come through and it is in my husbands name only. Neighbours (also British expats) told me I could not receive any medical treatment using the card in my husbands name and I would have to get one for myself. Went down to the local Social Security again and got a lecture (at least this is what came across)on coming to France without speaking the language. Could not understand a word he said and came away from the office non the wiser. Has anyone had a similar experience? Do I need a separate card or can I use my husbands card as a dependant? I really want to get this sorted out before the need for medical treatment arises.

First where do you live?

There are many people on here who will know a translator or someone who speaks fluent French who can be employed for the very reason you need someone right now.

Here in Brittany I know of a few who can be employed to help people for this kind of thing, all registered, so no panic there. But what about someone you may have befriended and might speak French on your behalf? OK you can't expect to keep being hleped for free, so that is why I have suggested you employ some one to sort out your problem at CPAM.

On another note, this should be a warning to many people who think that sitting around supping and enjoying the "French" life style is all you need to concentrate on doing. Ill health can befall anyone at any time and if your ability to speak French is zilch or close to it, you can find yourself deep in the mire.

I have seen at first hand the sheer panic that comes over a family when they realise they cannot even speak enough simple French to summon an ambulance or emergency Doctor.

Good luck but get it sorted fast, Oh and it is my belief that you ought to use your partners social security number and receive your own card.

Miki

Thank you everyone for your help. Yes there was a green form with the card with "attestation" at the top, and yes my name is on it under my husbands. So from what several of you have said I am covered. That's a relief. Regarding the message about speaking French. We live in 85 dept. We don't know of anyone who will translate on our behalf. We are learning French but at our age it is a very slow process and the things we learn are not what we need to know ie. can I make a reservation for two or can I have a cup of coffee. The really important things you need to know are not what you are taught at the early stages. We are not here just supping the wine and not considering the need to speak the language. We want to integrate into the culture completely but it is early days yet. We love it in France and most people are very helpful, but on this occasion we were unlucky and had to deal with someone who was really rude. This is not the norm. Anyway thanks once again everyone.