Acupuncture

Gail Smith

Hi

I am a fully trained and highly UK qualified acupuncturist. I have recently moved to 24 and am starting to make inroads into setting up an acupuncture practice. At present there are strange rules in France about working as an acupuncturist in that you can practice but you cannot call yourself the word 'Acupuncturist'. You can even get insurance to practice from the French Acupuncture governing body,

I would be interested to talk to any other acupunturists in France and hear about their experiences. I don't think there will be many so any kind of therapist feel free to let me know how you have got on.

I am also a level II Reiki healer and do indian head massage and basic body massage.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Gail Smith

No one seems to be replying, so all I can say is that I use an accupuncturist on a fairly regular basis. Mine however is a GP, and I am reimbursed by the SS, although the amount of reimbursement has reduced this year, which has a knock on effect on our mutualist reimbursement too.

Our accupunturist charges 36 euros of which we get about 12 euros back

There seems to be  places where one can find people practicing alternative medicine in both the cities around here, but I have not noticed, or heard of  anyone practicing in the smaller towns.

I have a friend in the UK who practices just about everything you mentioned, (including accupunture), who started off as a physiotherapist, she charges an awful lot more than our GP here charges and perhaps does not have the hefty social charges that people tend to have here either.

• 2 weeks later...

The reimbursements have changed recently.

The first visit is based on the usual 20 euros, however, follow up and treatment are in fact less than I said, the SS base du remboursement is 11,52 euros and not 12 euros. So of the 36 we pay out, we get back 8,06 from the SS and our mutualist generously gives us 6,34 which takes us over the 11,52.

I did check with my acupuncturist who is also a GP and he told me that the 11,52 was the new tarrif for follow up consulations.

So if you go for a GP type problem but the person is also an acupuncturist you get 20 euros back, but if you go just to get the needles put in it is less?  Sounds kind of unfair on the doctor that one, but I suupose they're stopping reimbursing all these homeopathic medicines it is just part of a general pattern.  It's a real pity!!!

Jane

[quote]So if you go for a GP type problem but the person is also an acupuncturist you get 20 euros back, but if you go just to get the needles put in it is less? Sounds kind of unfair on the doctor that one...[/quote]

just part of a general pattern towards scientific rationalism. A Good Thing in my book.

Stew

(if it can't be consistantly and repeatedly proven under lab conditions, I'm not all that keen)