Specs and the UK

I1

Having just seem a recent post about the costs somebody was being quoted for lenses in France I have a question people may know the answer to.

I am a British citizen living in France, not yet receiving a pension and not of suitable age for one yet. When I need replacement glases, can I use a visit to the UK to visit a UK optician and get them there.

From a "moral" perspective I am still paying UK National Insurance (and when I stop that I will continue with voluntary class 3 contributions), and thus do would not feel I'm taking advantage of the UK system.

In fact I have only had one pair of glases in the UK (from Boots) and get free eye tests as there is a history of glaucoma (sic ?) in my family. I don't actually know if the UK NHS contribute to the cost of glasses or not. I was just told a price and paid it.

The high street opticians (Boots, Specsavers, D&A, VisionExpress etc) are commercial organisations who operate in the marketplace. There is NO reason at all why you should not use them. If you want a free eye test you may have to provide them with your NI number - otherwise the cost is about £15.

VisionExpress will grind and polish lenses while you wait (you may have to book an eye test, though, but waiting may only be a day or so at the most) and Specsavers will also make up your glasses if they have the standard lenses in stock.

In general terms, NI contributions fund the retirement pension. The NHS is paid for out of general taxation.

There is no moral dimension to this.