Bereavement

Chalky

I have very recently lost my husband who died here in france after a long battle against cancer. The treatment he received here was the very best possible. Among all the  problems of coping and trying to face life without him I now find that my E106 is about to run out. My husband had an E121 of his own and I was going to be added to this at the end of this month. Does anyone know if I will still be eligible to go onto his or will I be able to get one (E121) of my own if I receive a bereavement allowance?

Hello,

Without full details it is always difficult to give precise advice but there is a time factor here.

You should approach this in 2 ways. Get in touch with the DWP in Newcastle, explain the situation and as a widow I believe you will obtain E121, which will be valid for another year or your cover will be maintained for the same period by virtue of your late husbands E121.

As your E106 is probably going to expire at the end of this month you should also explain the situation to the CPAM telling them you are attempting to obtain E121 via your status as a widow. I think you will find CPAM very accommodating in these circumstances. If for some reason cover is not continued by these means then your rights will continue under residence criteria, but go down the E121 route first.

I would be interested to know how it works out.

Regards

Peter Owen

[email protected]