Financial health

Annee

How do I find out what E we need to move across? We will both be under retirement age, but retired......Husband has paid N/C prior to leaving. I have been at home. Do I qualify under his contributions? I think the 106 applies, for 2 years, but we need to top it up, before we go there to have it in place?

I would really appreciate advice or direction..I am happy to do the leg work.

Many thanks! 

It sounds as if you need an E106, as you say, but the only people who can tell you if you are entitled to one is DWP at Newcastle. If you can't get one, then ask them to give you a refusal in writing. You can then take that to your local CPAM offic in France and, after you have lived there for three months to establish residence criteria, you should be able to join the French system. You will be liable to pay about 8% of your income above a minimum level.

"How do I find out what E we need to move across? We will both be under retirement age, but retired......Husband has paid N/C prior to leaving. I have been at home. Do I qualify under his contributions? I think the 106 applies, for 2 years, but we need to top it up, before we go there to have it in place?

Phone the Department for Work and Pensions in Newcastle on 0191 21 87547 they will advise you of your entitlement to an E106 and will tell you for how long you will be covered.

You will be covered under your husbands E106, and this pays roughly 65 to 70% of any medical bills. A number of serious illnesses are covered 100%.

After your E106 expires you will pay 8% of your joint income after allowances over, (roughly) 7000€ for cover up to the 65 to 70% level.

When one of you becomes an OAP proper you will be covered under an E121 and do not pay the 8%.

In all cases a top up or mutuelle will pay any excess but could cost around 1000€ plus depending upon age and cover required.

Thanks..........8% of one pension? It seems so unfair, we have paid our dues all our lives. I have stopped work only recently. I thought there was a short term EU agreement

What cover can we apply for meantime....Mutuelle Axa, in France or in the uk, in case we are sick ?

Leslauriers,

You say......... "When one of you becomes an OAP proper you will be covered under an E121 and do not pay the 8%".

In France males are pensioners from age 60.  Does this mean that you are covered under French regs, or is it the UK regs of age 65 that apply?

• 2 weeks later...
What you should also have said is that they give you back any tax you have paid in the UK (well they did with my and others we know) and then tax you the French way. Interestingly they don't appear to give you back your UK NI contributions, if you have made any. What about the 10.3% CSG and CRDS tax's on gross amounts, do you still pay them when you retire?