Disability Allowances

Mimsandcarl67

In England I am currently claiming Disability Living Allowance & Incapacity Benefit.  Due to my parents moving to France I am now looking at coming out with them.

Obviously due to my disabilities I am unable to work and could not afford to live without my benefits.

Can anyone tell me where I stand on this, are there the same benefits in France.  Also is there a scheme such as Motability where instead of the benefit I can have a car?

I've just been discussing this with the DLA Office in the UK.

If you were made your initial award prior to 1992 and if you are in France for a short time, you will be allowed to keep your DLA award.

However, permenant residence and initial award after 1992 means a strict 'no' and apparently there is no room for discussion on this.

I would suggest that you phone the DLA offices and discuss your individual case with them - Incapacity Benefit is paid though.

As for the Motability scheme, it's bad enough here trying to get registered as disabled - because you are registered in the UK does not mean that you would automatically be registered disabled here.  I'm not sure whether there are any allowances for the car, perhaps one of the others here would know. 

I am not disabled and have no knowedge of allowances etc but we did have a English lady who had lived in France for some twenty odd years come to stay. She had a specially modified car which took her wheelchair and enabled her to drive. I have to say technically I thought it was a very clever pice of kit. She told me that she got very little assistance from the French government and recieved a very small grant. I can't remember how much exactly but it was something like two or three thousand Euros. The cost of the car, a Citron Picaso, and the modifications less the two or three thousand had to be paid for by her, the grant which was paid directly to the company that modified the car.

I have to say that the modifications were massive to take the wheelchair which went in to the drivers position. Entry was gained via a side ways lift that went up and in. The centre door pillar was attached to the rear door perminantly which came out and motored rearward to open the whole side of the car. Very cleaver. Apparently there are no kits available for this so the whole think was designed specially for her. As I said a very clever piece of kit. She got no financial assistance to run the car either. She considered the help that disabled people get in the UK to be far better than that available in France. I can't say if that is true not being disabled.

Hope this helps and good luck.