Multiple Sclerosis Treatment in France

Pilcha33

Hi,

My wife has Muliple Sclerosis and is currently on daily Beta Interferon injections to minimise attacks. At the moment, she generally only experiences problems in the winter, as a rection to the cold, and as a result, we are thinking of moving to France for a warmer climate.

Has anyone any experience of the treatment for MS in France? Is Beta Inferon available and free? 

Also, my wife currently gets a disibility allowance and a Motability car. Does anyone know what will happen to these?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Adrian

Hi Adrian

Beta Interferon is readily available in France.  Depending on the allowance, ie Incapacity Benefits, that would be transferable to a French bank account.  I don't know if other benefits are transferable, you would have to check with Newcastle on that matter.  I would assume that your wife would receive an E121 form for reciprocal health care in France.  Her illness would certainly be covered 100% by the CPAM, following registration with a French GP who would complete the necessary forms.  This would cover medicines etc for that particular illness.  I am not sure about Motability, or its equivalent, here in France, but your wife could certainly apply for an invalidity card.

I heard that people were swimming and sunbathing in Nice last weekend. Were they just British?

..................probably!

On T.V. last night I saw pictures of people in Moscow making holes in the ice and swimming, there was snow all around and those not in swimsuits were wearing fur coats and hats!