UK prescriptions running out in France

Frederick

I have just put my prescription in to the doctors  and requested they provide me with more than a months tablets as we will be in France when they run out......I was asked   " Cant you get them over there ? "    good question... if they dont give me a couple of months  supply...can I just get my local  French pharmacy to supply them and pay for them.....will they make them up from my UK prescription ? or am I in for a load of hassle .

I would not rely on French Pharmacy accepting a UK prescription. However, there is no reason why your UK GP should not give you two months supply as a one off if you are going on holiday. If this is refused by your surgery then it might be time to change your doctor as this is normal practice by UK doctors if you are away for a short period.

Baz

My UK doc used to give me a 3 months supply, no problem, as I was working all over the place.However, having once run out of pills in France, the pharmacist insisted I go to the doc's to get a prescription before they dispensed anything. I just took the empty pill packets to the French doc's and he prescribed the french equivalent, for 20 euros. Basically I don't think they want anyone to die for the sake of a few pills.

Regards. B&B St.Malo.    ourinns.org

Thanks for your reply Baz...........it seems my Doctor is away and the receptionist thinks only he can give me 2 months ? I was not concerned about getting them on the French system by acceptance of the prescription  just wondering if they would supply for payment  on sight of it without having to form fill in .......its very common medication taken by thousands of people daily and cheap.  

Im sure you wont have a problem  I take medication and my UK doctor will give me three months in advance however last time I stayed on in France unexpectedly. I made an appt at the local doctor (first time im not a resident) I did not have my old prescription only the empty packet. he prescribed there and then and after asking what other medication i was on he then said did I want any of those. the appt cost 20 euros the prescription 6 euros all of which he said I could claim back through my e111. lo and behold they refunded it which i think is strange as in UK I have to pay for my subscriptions.