Will CPAM pay for private treatment in the UK?

David

I am resident in France, and am on the CPAM register with incapacity rating, which means that I have 100% cover with CPAM, and no top up cover.

While gardening in France in April 2004, I tore the main tendon from the front of my right thigh off the connection to the kneecap, and I am now unable to walk.  I have had three operations in France on my right knee, all of which were failures.  I am now going back to the UK for further opinions, but as I am no longer on the UK health register, having transferred to France, I am told that I must do this on a private basis.

While this will be expensive, for the initial consultations I am prepared to accept that.  However, if the UK decide that another operation is viable, this will become very expensive what with hospital fees, MRI scan costs, hotel fees, surgeon fees, etc.  I will try to reduce costs by leaving the UK hospital as soon as possible, and coming back to France for follow up treatment and physio etc.

Does anybody know if CPAM will reimburse any or part of the UK hospitalisation and surgery costs?

Many thanks,

David

Alternatively does anybody know of an excellent knee and tendon reconstruction surgeon in France?  I have tried Bressuire, Cholet, Angers, Thouars, Poitiers, and Tours.  Bressuire and Tours mucked up the operations, the others said it was too difficult.

Many thanks,

David