Irish E106 or Euopean Health Insurance Card

Me&Mi

Hi there,

We have come to France for six months.  I don't think we will be staying longer though.  Neither of us is working at the moment.  Is our EHIC enough?  We need to bring our daughter to a Dr so she can go to school for the few months.  We haven't got an E106 and wouldn't know where to get one in Dublin.  Any ideas?  Don't mind getting INTO the system but not sure it's a good idea if we are only staying for 6 months.  Advice would be appreciated.

If you stay for more than three months, then you are considered to be resident - at least in terms of getting your paperwork sorted. That used to be the theoretical limit for obtaining titre de sejour (and still is, though that particular bit of bureaucracy no longer applies to France's fellow Europeans).

I suggest you get in touch with your health board in Ireland about E106. If you find you have left it too late, or you are not entitled for any other reason, then you should go along to your local CPAM in France and register in the French system.

You can of course go to a doctor in France as a non-resident, but you will have to pay for the consultations and any medicines and you would not be entitled to a refund.  It still might be the simplest solution though.

Thanks for the information, Owen. I had checked about E106 on the web sites for a couple of the various Irish health boards, but on a second look as they still talk about E111 they are probably out of date - unless of course the EHIC hasn't reached Ireland, which may be a distinct possibility since it seems out of step with other European countries. Strangely Ireland seems to insist on E-forms for those from other EU states taking up residence.

Hi Me&Mi,

Glad you finally made it to France. Hope it's living up to your expectations.  Sorry, don't really know about EHIC, but isn't it valid for up to 5 years? Does the GP check when you arrived in France? What corner of France did you choose in the end?

The problem with the EHIC is that it is only valid for emergency treatment.

So break an arm - emergency - X Rays, arm set etc..  All covered.

It hurts so you need painkillers - debatable, you'll probably get some but if the pain persists you may later have to pay.

You need physiotherapy afterwards - likely not to be covered except out of your own pocket.

I have friends who had a relative staying with them who had a stroke.  Immediate care was covered but subsequent care and nursing was deemed (initially at least) as non-emergency.  After about 18 months they eventually gor their several thousand euros back and only after they managed to convince the UK that it was not practical to fly the patient back to the UK, but of course the hospital had to be paid long before that. 

Well I went to the Dr and he wouldn't take any money off me for the letter saying my daughter was fit to go to school!  It's the easiest thing I've done in France so far!  No red tape????????? 

Hey Ormx, glad to hear from you.  We decided on Carcassonne in the end for various reasons.  Might pm you again on MM when I get the chance.  All good so far.  Just had a swim in the pool that is part of the apt complex we're staying in.  Weather is great.  The people are really nice(although the accent is hard to understand sometimes!).  Anyway, like I said, catch up with you soon.  Hope you are well.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I'll look into what to do longer term.  Whatever I do, I'm sure it'll improve my French which is always a good thing[8-|]