EHIC & under 18s in France

tegwini

Does anyone know if a 17 year old taking a temporary job (as an au pair) needs more than the EHIC -  I realise that extra insurance might be helpful, but could the EHIC be sufficient for a short stay of less than 6 months?  (and the 17 year old will only be 18 after this time).

Many thanks

Tegwini

Tha EHIC is not acceptable medical cover for someone who is working in France - it provides emergency cover for holidaymakers - temporary (non-employed) visitors only. I don't know what the specific rules are for au-pairs, but the EHIC won't do. I suspect the employer will have to pay for medical cover, somehow.

M

Not quite so. The former E111 provided temporary cover for vistors, as stated above. The EHIC replaced several other forms as well as the E111, including the E128, which was given to certain categories of people temporarily working or studying abroad, so the EHIC has a rather wider scope than the old E111. I would ask DWP or HMRC, or, better still in your case, the au pair agency to see what forms or insurance cover they recommend.

Many thanks for replies-  it's all very confusing - EHIC telephone line costs, and rambles on with taped irrelevant stuff - needed a real person there, but it's only a computer.

Trouble is the French are  not remotely fussed about this sort of thing & apparently a visitor can access French health care with minimal cost & the family prefers to do it this way & keep the difference for trips, cinema etc for the au pair.  Not that much choice, and it seems this is quite the norm.  Au pairs earn pocket money, but I believe the social costs would double this & fewer would be employed.

The ex-pat community I know worry about the legalities, as clearly it would a disaster should someone report them for working on the 'black', and I hear there is a tradition for that,  quite apart from some envy by some of the French for some ex-pats.

We will cross fingers &,  Paris is not that far ...

regards

tegwini