Cochlear Implant Support in France

squigs

Hi I am deafened and planning to move to France with my wife when I retire in 20 months time.

I have just been referred in the UK for assessment for a cochlear implant. There is a long way to go with the process before finally being accepted, but if all goes well it could make a huge difference to me.

My query is, does anyone have any information on how people with implants are supported in France? Any information or reference to websites would be really helpful. I start the assessment porcess next month in the regional centre in the Uk so any information would be hugely helpful.

Thanks in anticipation!!

Sorry cant help with support in France.

I had a cochlear implant in Feb 2007, it took about 2 years from referral to surgery, lots of hospital visits (London) and tests.

For me,it works well, lovely to hear all the sounds that you dont realise have disappeared (birds singing, raindrops,running water etc).

My implant doesnt have rechargable batteries and it uses 3 batteries every 4 days, so that would be an expense to consider in France if you didnt have rechargeables, Free on the NHS.

Good luck with your assessment, brings back memories