Virus warning

LAST EDITED ON 28-Jan-04 AT 10:07 AM (GMT)

>the usual caution applies
>- don't open attachments from
>unknown sources!
>
Absolutely. I've had several of these, but got rid of them rapidly. Rather worryingly an up to date Norton Antivirus didn't pick them up on receipt (I'm sure that has been fixed now), but the suspect files showed up, and got quarantined, during a scan. It's a particularly awkward one as the attachments are designed to look official and don't use the usual .exe filename that a lot of anti-virus programs look for.

They are often disguised as undeliverable e-mails and it's very tempting to look at the attachment to see which message apparently was affected - don't.

One version of it seems to spread itself around by getting into your e-mail address book, so the source of the messages may actually be somebody known to you.

Will (50)

I used the disinfectant as suggested by JudyM's posting but it said I did not have My Doom. So where now? There were no attachments on these Deamon-Mailer returned messages but the names are not familiar to me. I suppose if they have come from someone else's list then they would not be familiar. I did have Kazaa Lite software but deleted t a few weeks ago. I also just downloaded MSN Messenger and am sure my laptop is slower than normal. Anyway I am on the case....Thanks

Washy

The plot thickens - I have received two e-mails from people I know saying that their address book have been infiltrated by a virus and then they give me a list of thins to do to find this .exe file that is identified by a teddy bear.

I found two and deleted them to the waste bin as told, then I started to worry as it said I had to contact everyone in my address book to warn them to d the same and gave an e-mail wording to send.

I have hesitated here because the files were identified by teddy bears but were headed something like Microsoft debugging..... can say what the rest is as I will not open it.

Could I not now be an unwitting part of this whole scam or is this bona fide?

Apparently the virus sits on the system for 14 days before it wreaks havoc, so I have a bit of time.

Has anyone any experience of this one please. I will telephone one of the message senders this evening in case they haven't even sent me the debugging message in the first place.

Am I suspicious or what???