Communication

Please don't shoot me down.
I bought my daughter a laptop for xmas; she's at uni and now not on campus in 2nd yr, (not so easy access to computers) so I wanted to do this for her).
A couple of questions, may I?
Next year (September) she will be at uni in France for a year. Will she be able to use the laptop, do I need to get, or arrange anything, so that she can?
Most uni accommodation has internet access here, is it so in France? She won't say what she needs, so I have to pre-empt!

Also, and this is not to do with France I am afraid, but is to do with me being a coward! I have heard about a card that you can get , if you have maybe a laptop, to connect to a mobile phone, to send e-mails etc. The truth is, I don't want to go into Curry's/Dixon's and have 19 yr olds look at me like ???
Is there a card that you can buy to enable you to connect to the internet with your phone, via a laptop?
And when your child is in France, what is the best way of staying in contact?
I ask because when she has been working there before, mobile phone conversations have been fraught with difficulties, and such a short distance, we must have been doing something wrong!

Tilly

See this link http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-techcorner/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=435 for a description of French internet access and how to set it up.

Yes, you can get a connector for some mobile phones that will allow you to use them as a modem, with the right ISP. This is very expensive and slow though. A simple PAYG dial-up connection will be very cheap and cheerful.