Phone not ringing???

I have at last moved into my house in the Charente-Maritime (17). I have installed a BT Diverse 3016 telephone and have a dial tone. I have rang the UK and the phone works as clear as a bell, the only problem is that when anybody phones me the phone does not ring. My brother in the UK rings my mobile and then arranges for me to pick up my land line phone a minute later and hey presto he's talking on the other end. What equipment do I need to fix things and where can I get it from?? Any help would be appreciated!

regards
dc

Spend Ten Euros on the cheapest French phone you can find or borrow a neighbours phone. See if that works OK.

If it works OK then BT phone not compatible with French system. Check manual for phone to see if there are any dipswitches you can set. If UK phone very complex check to see that there is no command to turn ringing off which could have been accidently switched on.

If it does not work with just the French phone in check with FT about their line.

Some UK phones working France some do not. French ringing tones engaged tones definitely different.