French Telephone Access

I'm thinking about getting a telephone connection but don't know where to start as its not something I expected to have much need of. I'm assuming we have a line to the house as there are slots in the wall which again I'm assuming are telephone points.

Haven't given it much consideration before but after a visit cut off from the outside world I want to find out which provider people consider to be the best value for a very occasional user. We are only likely to down there 8 - 10 weeks max. However, as I'm self employed being unable to access my emails was a bit of a problem and also I'm thinking of going down to spend some time there in October to do some work around the house.

[quote]I'm thinking about getting a telephone connection but don't know where to start as its not something I expected to have much need of. I'm assuming we have a line to the house as there are slots in th...[/quote]

There is only 1 provider really; France Telecom. They will have an office in your local town, simply visit and they will sort it for you. Telephone service ain't particularly cheap here, especially for light users. Have you considered using your mobile instead?