Internet Connection

[quote]When I was last in France I set my internet connection phone number to dial england by adding the 00 44 etc, it appeared to dial up OK but I couldn't access any pages. Does anyone know why? Do I nee...[/quote]

Hello

It should work, but I can't see why you would want to try! Calls to UK 0845 numbers are quite expensive.......

If you need access to the internet, get a pay as go go subscription from any French provider (disks available in the supermarket, etc) and use that. Don't use the installer on the disk if you can help it, just the information.]

You will still be able to access your UK providers email server for incoming mail at least, and send mail from the server of the French ISP.

Not that difficult to set up, message me if you need more help.

I was only doing it as a temporary measure as I didn't know any other way.  I would appreciate any guidance you can give me about setting up your suggestion as I don't want to spend money unecessarily and we will be moving to France in Jan so will be requiring a more permanent method of connection. Computers are a mystery to me, I can't live with them and I can't live without them but I will never understand them.

Hi Ann

As far as I know (and I am still learning for when we make the move) if you are trying to dial an 0845 access number for your UK ISP whilst you are in France it confuses the French telco system. What seems to be recommended is to set up a connection online whilst you are still in the UK ie signing up for pay-as-you-go with something like www.free.fr or www.tiscali.fr etc and then changing to a an 'abonnement' when you are settled. That way you have access and time to sort out who you want to sign up with.

Free seem to have quite a following with some people, but it seems to depend on the precise area you will be living in in France - just like some parts of the UK have better connection via dial-up than others.

You will, of course, need to have a French address and know the French telephone number you will be dialling from.

Mazan wrote a v good article about this, see: http://www.frenchentree.com/fe-techcorner/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=435

Sue