Multiple Connection for Sat TV?

Know that in Hotels they often have Satellite TV in each room and obviously these can work independantly of each other. My question is: Can you do the same in a B&B? How easy is it to do? and what would be type of cost implication?

We would like to put Sat TV in each room, which hopefully can get different nationality ie.French,German,Dutch,Italian,Spanish,English programmes and obviously work independantly of each other like in Hotels.

Has anybody done this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rita

Hello

You have 2 basic alternatives;

a) Distribute satellite signals to a receiver in each room. This has the advantage that you can swap boxes (and hence set-ups) from room to room, depending on who your guests are. Also, you can get the maximum number of channels in each room at the best quality (this is what I do at home). You will need a complicated satellite switch, especially if you are receiving from several satellites (for different nationalities) and alot of wiring.

b) A satellite receiver for each channel that you want to receive, with the RF (aerial) signals distributed to each of the TV's. This has the advantage that you will not need subscriptions (if necessary) for each box and it is alot easier for your guests to use. This is how it is done in hotels (typically) - hence the limited number of channels available per room.

I used to design sat distribution systems for a living and IMHO, it is possible to instal a comprehensive system at a sensible cost, if you are willing to do most of the work yourself. It is not a great technical challenge; the most complex job is pointing the dish(es) in the correct direction.

More info available, if I can help!

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the information. I would appreciate any further info you can give, ie. how many dishes are we likely to need? any idea of costings for 4-5 bedrooms? Is it possible to get these countries terrestrial stations?

Thanks for your time,

Rita

[quote]Hi Nick, Thanks for the information. I would appreciate any further info you can give, ie. how many dishes are we likely to need? any idea of costings for 4-5 bedrooms? Is it possible to get these co...[/quote]

Hi

It rather depends on what you want to receive. I don't know German etc satellite braodcasters, but I expect that all their terrestrial braodcasters are available by satellite. The lyngsat website (www.lyngsat.com) will tell you what is available - if you can Identify the stations you want. The number of dishes depends on the number of satellites that you need to receive/where they are located. This, of course depends on the stations you want to receive.

As to costs, very approximately and based on option b) you will need a dish & LNB for each satellite (not necessarily the case, but makes the maths easier) - cheap ones start at 30E, a satellite switch - 150E-ish, one per dish and a receiver for each channel (analogue/analog to Americans) for 10E+ (eBay, car boot sales...) digital for 50E+. Plus cabling (40E/100M) and sockets etc.

However, this assumes that you can use the modulators in the satellite receivers (converts the signal to TV standard) which is by no means guaranteed. If you need to use external modulators, then you are looking at approx 50E per receiver. You will be limited to a practical maximum of 20 channels on the TV's (less if you include French terrestrial TV). You will need to use PAL (UK/Europe) telly's - or multistandard French ones if you want to include French TV.

I'm sure that doesn't help! Perhaps you can come up with a list of channels/satellites?

[quote]In the supermarket I have seen a T connector with a diagram on the back showing one sat dish to the T connector and then to 2 recievers, could I use this instead of a dual LNB, if not, what is this co...[/quote]

You can't use a T connector in a satellite feed as a) the power to the LNB is via the cable (so the 2 voltages would compete) and b) the selection of horizontal or vertical signals is done via the cable, to the LNB.

I've no idea what this is for, unless is is a F-type splitter/combiner with an inaccurate description? THese are used to combine or split TV signals from (say) a cable source or a modulator or modulators.