An e-mail address for France Telecom ?

Hi

I am looking for an e-mail address for France telecom. I don't have a telephone yet and their web-based 'send us an email' forms only work if one can complete the mandatory field (telephone no), and yes it must be in France !

Thanks in advance

John

I agree that the situation you find yourself in is ridiculous but even if it worked remember E-mail is still not used as widely in France as in England, messages written in English are likely to be ignored - even messages in French don't get much of a priority. You will do far better by telephoning, or better still calling in to your local France Telecom shop. It used to be possible to contact France Telecom's London office and they would sort out your French telephone connection for you, but I don't think this service is offered any more. http://www.francetelecom.com/en/worldwide/europe/uk/

It's worth trying that number, but last time anybody I know used it (only a few weeks back) they were told to contact their local agency as the English language helpline dealt only with the Paris area. It does look from the web page as if it should deal with all of mainland France though. Do try, and please post about how you get on - you might get somebody a bit more helpful.

I used it a couple of months ago as I had been having loads of trouble with my ADSL and the standard FT only ever just tested the line and said it was within specification (but still the ADSL did not work). Although slightly outside their responsibility they were very helpful and went through loads of things - eventually talking to the FT engineering and I then got an engineer calling round and it has worked fine ever since.

Many thanks all. The English speaking line is supposedly open 9-5.30, not any evenings, according the recorded message which is all I have got out of it so far.

One of the reasons for the request for  e-mail is that there are a lot of questions and detail that lend themselves to the written word. Then it becomes doubly galling that they will work with e-mail, but only if you have a current french telephone number for them to reference you with. I might try entering France Telecom's own phone no. in that box and see what happens....

[quote]I agree that the situation you find yourself in is ridiculous but even if it worked remember E-mail is still not used as widely in France as in England, messages written in English are likely to be ig...[/quote]

Certainly, when I was having my ADSL problems I e-mailed Wanadoo quite a few times (apologising that I had to write in English). I always got an automated acknowledgement but never any further response. Wanadoo do have some technical support people who speak English (as I have spoken to them) but it does seem (as Will the Conquer... said) that e-mails in English can be ignored (my experience being with Wanadoo rather than France Telecom).

No idea about your French language skills, but just posting to say my experience is the same as Will the Conquer... indicated.

He - He,

Thanks for the suggestion that French Customer Service people might be selective in who they respond to ! (smile).

As it happens I would happlily e-mail in French (and will telephone in French if I had to). Its just illogical to go through a long winded set up details orally/aurally. The EDF cope with e-mails...

Cheers