Going wireless with Wanadoo

I now have ADSL which I access with a Sagem modem, but I have bought a Wireless G ADSL Gateway from LinkSys and a wireless card. It works fine, as in great signal etc, but I cannot work out how to connect to Wanadoo. My current access is Haut Debit Extense. Do I need to change this?

I know the answer is to ask Wanadoo but my French isn't up to PPoE codes etc, so I wondered if anyone else has the same combination. Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks from Lottie

Your adsl gateway handbook should give you an address (something like http://192.168.0.1)and password to acess the setup screen for your adsl modem. Once you have acessed that, you will have to enter the ident and password from wanadoo. Most of these boxes have an express setup so you should be ok with that.

I normally do the initial setup from my main computer with a wired connection, then get the wireless going, but as you seem to have the wireless link up and running , you can work via that. Don't forget to set up your wireless security systems as soon as you can after your system is working, you don't want next door piggy-backing on your net connection via your insecure wireless link!

MikeW

I’m using a Belkin wireless broadband set up.  I used to think I knew what I was doing with computers until I tried to set it up as per the instructions – I just couldn’t get it to work!

In the end I called their support line and someone talked me through the whole setting up process.  Where I appeared to have been going wrong was that part of the process had to be done with one of the PCs connected by cable to the broadband router.  This wasn’t apparent from the instructions and I note that Mike mentions that he does part of the set up using a wired connection.

If you still haven’t cracked it, it might be worth trying LinkSys UK support number – they may be able to help you, they will sell the same gear in every country just with a different mains adapter.  The number is 0870 739 3939 – with a bit of luck you might get through to a worldwide support centre which has the Wanadoo settings.

The other problem I had was that there were no instructions for how share files between PCs and print to a printer connected to another PC – maybe I was being unreasonable in expecting instructions on how to use my wireless network?

Good luck with it – it’s good once you get it going!

Ecossais:

Instructions to share files and print to a network printer are part of Windows, if you havn't found out by now! Lottie has the wanadoo settings, they were sent as part of the initial documentation on sign-up.

Once you can contact the modem via your browser, it is plain sailing, I found that my browser would not talk to the modem until I had removed all traces of my old dial-up connection from Internet Explorer.

MikeW