T.V. has gone bang

Returning from a 3 month stay in the UK on Thursday, we were slightly concerned about an ominous crackling sound coming from TV.  Now it's emitted a loud cracking sound a picture has gone, just a faint grey outline showing.  Is it the tube that's gone and if so I am right in thinking it won't be worth repairing?  I believe I could buy a dual system tv in France but think they're expensive and limited range.

Any help or suggestions gratefully received.  I was looking forward to CSI and Law & Order tonight as well.  Good job we've got plenty of books.

TVs eventually just go. I went through the rigmarole of having one repaired a few years back - if you can find anyone to do it - now I just bit the bullet.

Aren't most TVs in France dual standard now? Our French TV (a Sony) is identical to one we have in the UK, but the 'multistandard' one has never worked properly.

[quote]Returning from a 3 month stay in the UK on Thursday, we were slightly concerned about an ominous crackling sound coming from TV. Now it's emitted a loud cracking sound a picture has gone, just a fain...[/quote]

Was the house cold and - perhaps - a bit damp when you turned it on ? Sounds to me like it was arcing inside and finally something V.high voltage, like maybe the LOPT, has been zapped.

It's worth pricing a replacement before you lug it around the SAV's to get it repaired to get a feel for the prices, as one expensive part and a hour or so's labour can bring you halfway to the cost of a new (and guaranteed) one.

Hard, I know. I chucked a beautiful Loewe 32" multistandard a while back, and it was like parting with a major organ!

paul

[quote]Was the house cold and - perhaps - a bit damp when you turned it on ? Sounds to me like it was arcing inside and finally something V.high voltage, like maybe the LOPT, has been zapped. It's worth pri...[/quote]

You're spot on. House was indeed cold and a bit damp when we turned it on.  Replacing it is the problem as we have satellite TV and want to watch UK programmes.  I'll take myself off to But and Darty tomorrow but I don't know if multi-channel will be much more expensive to buy and don't know anyone returning from UK next week who could bring me one (I'm not thinking massive tv, just a 21").  We've brorrowed a portable but only until Feb 6th so am trying to think of quickest and most cost effective way of replacing it.  Can't remember who we bought the digibox from but have a feeling they can also supply uk tv's.  Maybe I can get one Fed-Exed?  Does anyone know?

Replacing it is the problem as we have satellite TV and want to watch UK programmes.

I don't know where you get this idea from. Go to your nearest hypermarket and buy the tv you like best. It will be multistandard and you will be able to connect your digibox with the SCART (peritel) and you will be able to watch your UK programmes. I have bought two tvs in France without even worrying about this.

Understanding the operating instructions if there is no English translation is a different matter - but you could always go to the brand's website and see if there is a manual available for download.

One small point to remember.

When you purchase your new TV in France, the retailer will inform the French TV licensing authority and you will receive a bill for a TV license.

That is, if you don't already have one, or it hasn't been included in your local habitation tax this year.