Why do I need a service provider?

Not knowing much about the technicalities of broadband etc we are somewhat confused by the situation confronting us. We have existed adequately over the past year with an AOL 'unlimited time on line' subscription, accessing the internet here in France, using the free telephone numbers. We have two FT telephone lines, one used solely for the internet connection and the other used for calls (via Uvitel).

We have just heard that broadband will be available in this commune in March and so we have been receiving the usual bumph from FT and Wanadoo regarding modems, service packages etc. We have noted the useful numbers given on this site to enable us to investigate other providers though currently there is nothing indicated for this area.

The question - probably naive - is why do we need a service provider at all? We can understand why we needed one for the ordinary telephone system: We had to dial a number and the provider would then connect us to the internet. But on broadband it seems we are connected all the time, so what does the "broadband service provider" provide that, at this point, we don't already have? Our plan would be to ditch the AOL subscription, purchase our own modem, and access e-mail through an address at one of the independent services such as hotmail. We shall be paying FT for rental of the telephone line, and there will now be no need to 'dial up' as we do with AOL. Presumably we are missing something crucial here but would be glad to know just what it is!

Whilst not claiming to be an expert (as if...) I think I know enough about broadband to be able to offer an explanation.

Think of it like electricity, it's there, you want it, but someone has to supply it to you!

You don't say whether the broadband being offered in your commune is cable or ADSL, but I suspect it's probably the latter.

ADSL splits your telephone line into 2 lines, one for voice and one for data, and then uses a ADSL modem or router to supply Broadband.

Cable broadband does what it says on the box, it is supplied direct by a cable and modem from your service provider. 

Both of these require a service provider to provide your internet service, just like dial-up.  They are the "link" between you and the internet. Just because you are connected all the time doesn't mean that "link" comes for free (again, think electricity).

Even using a free email service like Hotmail will still require some way of accessing the internet.

I'm more than happy for any of the real experts out there to correct anything I've said here, but I hope this should give you what you need to know.