Canalsatellite or TPS?

I am moving to France shortly. I'm aware that the flagship public channels (France2, France3..) are digitally (satellite) available only via the payTV platforms Canalsatellite and TPS.

I appreciate any comments regarding these two systems. Which platform from your point of view is the better one?
I am not concerned re Football and general sports channels, but would not mind to pay for good movie channels.

Is it correct that movie viewers have a choice between the French dubbed and the original language version?

thanks, I am trying to get the British FTA channels (BBC). I am not to keen on Sky, will try to focus on French TV to get accustomed to culture, politics and so on.

Can anyone recommend a good digital receiver with CAM for Canalsatellite or TPS?

I don't think TPS will give you the british FTA channels. If they do I haven't found out how to access them.

In the basic package you only get BBC World. Which IMO is pretty tiresome unless you are really interested in world politics.

With one of the extended packages you can get BBC Prime but that seems to be wall to wall eastenders.

Does anybody know if you get the British FTA with Canal +

rgds

hagar

unless you want the channels offered only on digital satellite then analogue satellite will be a far cheaper option for you.

The DIY stores sell kits for less than 100 euros (others will let you know the current prices in France) and once set up at 5 degrees West these will pick up TF1, France 2 & 3 (altho' only the national non-local news version), Canal Plus when in the clear, France 5 and M6.

You do not need a subscription for these services.

We watch French TV in the UK this way.

HTH.

According to the Lyngsat listing, 'Atlantic Bird 3'  @  5oW (used to be called telecom I seem to recall) carries all the main national channels in both analogue and clear digital. The digital bouquet are on transponder KB4 at 11591 V where you will find F2, 4, la5, Arte, LCP (the parliament channel) and the national sustaining service for FR3. On analogue there is F2, La5, Arte, FR3sat, M6 et TF1.

The cheapest option is a dish + kit-in-a-box from a brico with an analogue receiver inside (Around 40 Euros). Digital version slightly more expensive.

You would need a second dish to pick up the free to air BBC channels, as they are over on 27.5 o E, and w-a-y too far for 2 blocks, but again, a simple digital receiver without a CAM will work fine. If you are hoping for ITV ch4/5 then a Sky box is the only choice: not on sale in the ordinary DIY shops in France as the Murdock/Sky-CAM is only licenced for UK/Eire. 

paul

Castorama sell an 80cm dish with two LNBs enabling you to receive transmissions from two satellites.  With a suitable receiver - not free to air - you can subscribe to Canal + France, that transmits on Astra 1, and receive all of the British FTA transmissions on Astra 2.  Canal+ transmit in Mediaguard 2 so you will need a box with such a cam embedded, or with a slot that will accept a Mediaguard cam.

I have seen offers in Carrefour with a subscription to Canal+ and a digital receiver at a reduced price.  If you go down this route the receiver will also be suitable for Astra 2.