French Satellite Problem

We haev a problem with our newly aquired French Satellite decoder..........we bought the dish and decoder in Bricomarche - just to receive the 6 French channels. Man in shop explains to hubby that it is a piece of cake to install, so we come home and have a go - no luck, can only get 1 german channel, so I arrange for local French satellite installer to come and do the job. He corrects the position of the dish, and replaces existing cable which we had reused from somewhere else. He manages to get a picture off his equipment but not off our decoder, so he takes it home to have a 'fiddle'.........comes back saying that it is faulty and brings his own decoder which works perfectly. I take our decoder back to Bricomarche and the guy promptly plugs it in to the TV in the shop, adjusts a couple of things and it works perfectly!! He then says to plug it in to our TV and it should work - I might just have to adjust the Vertical or Horizontal, depending on how the 'tete' is set up, so I come home and guess what, it doesn't work....AAAARRRRGGHHHH!! Why not, Help!! Suggestions in extremely simple terms please, I am completely clueless when it comes to such matters!

Regards

Chris

I presume this is a French Analogue ( not Digital/Numerique) system. Suggestions :

Even if you French is almost non existant try and read the manual and follow the instructions. Use Sytrans to translate or  Post any bits you cannot translate here.

If you are on good terms with your French neighbours borrow the most geeky child in the neigbourhood and get them to play with the system.

As the engineer got a signal from your dish do not move it but check it is pointing slightly west rather than east of South 

Post roughly where your house is in France and you might get a Forum member desperate to escape House Hunting / Patio Laying to come round and have a look.

Thanks for your reply..............I just don't understand why our decoder worked in the shop and the enginers worked here and ours didn't!! We followed the installation instructions in the manual, as did the engineer, but no joy..........I'll ask our neighbour to come round and take a look, no geeky kids in the vicinity I'm afraid!!

Regards

Chris

[quote]Thanks for your reply..............I just don't understand why our decoder worked in the shop and the enginers worked here and ours didn't!! We followed the installation instructions in the manual, as...[/quote]

Chris

It worked in the shop and not at your home because there is something else wrong with your set up, clearly not the receiver.  The things to look at are position of dish, LNB, cable and the input to your tv.

The most likely really is the position of the dish though you might just have an LNB which is not compatible with the receiver.  Most are universal and will pick up anything but I have bought some systems for customers which have LNBs which are peculiar to either analogue or digital.

Where are you in France - I might be able to help.

CHRIS