Help please on Email problem

When I log on to my email thingy I have to click on connect and then it says it is connected. But when I try to send an email it says its not online and cannot send it.  After some little while I have noticed that the 2 little screens down in the right hand corner come on when I click on connect but as soon as it says it is connected they disappear.

When I click on Internet I do not have this problem and I can post this OK and the 2 little screens stay on when I exit Internet. If I then go straight to email, as soon as the outlook express window fills the screen it says checking for new messages and then the 2 little screens go out and I then know the connection is broken.

Could some kind person explain in baby talk how I could fix this.  The only thing I can think has happened in the last 2 days is that I have downloaded some auto updates.

weedon

Cabman, you are a star.

Now that you have mentioned it I do remember another thing that happened yesterday. Somebody very kindly sent me some family photographs which seemed to fill my screen and was taking ages to download so I ticked the option to hang up when it finished and then walked away.  I hadn't appreciated the difference it would make later, and anyway I forgot about it until you very kindly gave me the solution.

Thanks again and the cheques in the post

weedon