Connecting to the Internet with AOL

I know this has probably been answered, but I can't find it!

I  am getting a phone installed in my second home in Normandy in May. I have an AOL unlimited account (Broadband) in the UK. I have a laptop with AOL9 installed. What do I have to do to get online ?

Also do I need some special leads? If so where can I get them?

Many thanks

This may help.

We have an AOL account in the UK, and dial up via a 56kps modem with unlimited access. On moving to France, we continued to use our AOL service, by dialling the free numbers 0860 70 7444 or 0860 880 0310.

I assume that you have access to your AOL account whether by dialup or broadband? Also, presumably your computer already has a 56kps modem built in? So, when in France, you will have to reconfigure AOL to use dialup by adding a new "location"; that can be done using the "expert set-up" option. Alternatively, you can ask it to search for telephone numbers, and select those labelled "Offres tout compris". At least one of the above numbers should appear; if not, type them into "expert setup" and use them anyway.

The only cable you will need is the telephone cable with the small (RJ11) connector at one end to go into your computer, and a French telephone connector at the other. These are readily available at most supermarkets for a few euros.

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't been logged onto the Forum for a while and was happy to see your question re AOL. I have been using AOL unlimited access in France just as Val has said with no problems.I would like to update to broadband but AOL seems quite expensive for us and I was wondering whether anyone has used Tiscali.? An advert in the paper today gives broadband at 15.99 per month but is Tiscali happy to let me use it in France or England? or should I stick to AOL and suffer the slow connection to a website? Thankyou Dorothy