Unlock French Mobile Phone

I am thinking of going over to UK PAYG instead of my French Orange PAYG. I believe I need to get my phone unlocked and then simply buy a new UK SIM card. Does anyone know how I get my phone unlocked in France? I believe it's pretty simple in the UK, there seem to be market stalls offering to do it all over the place. I haven't seen these in France and the Orange web site hasn't helped.

What is the french for 'to unlock' in this context?

Liz (29)

Hi Liz

I had an Orange PAYG mobile and nearly always lost the credit as I didn't use the phone enough.  I tried phoning the France Telecom website helpline number (where they speak English) and they transferred me to Orange.  However, nobody there could or wanted to speak English and my French was not good enough on the phone.  I therefore went to France Telecom in Vire.  One of the staff there phoned up to unlock my phone.  She had problems so I don't think I stood any chance.

If you are in France all the time it might be worth your while to think about a SIM card from Teleconnect.  They charge 11.95 Euros a month with call charges on top.  I think the charges are 18c per minute in France.  This works out better for me as it is cheaper than paying 20 Euros for PAYG and then losing a big chunk of it.

Good luck

Gail

We have had 2 phones unlocked here and a couple of mobiles unlocked in the UK.

Everytime it has cost the equivalent of £10. In the UK it easy to find someone to unlock a phone but here in France you have to ask or ring around. Our server told us of a shop not too far from us who can more or less unlock any mobile phone.

So really you need to ask, the youngsters often know a place that does unlocking. Rennes has some shops and Dinard has one, it really is a matter of asking or running around.

Liz,

What make and model is your mobile?  Depending on which mobile you have, it may be possible for you to unlock it yourself - there are some websites where you can obtain the ‘unlock code’ you need to enter into the phone – free!  The unlock code for a mobile is unique to its IMEI (serial) number.  It’s easy to do yourself if you’ve got the right phone.

Other makes / models may need to be connected to a PC to unlock them or be connected to an unlocking device.

You’ll find the multiple mobile dealers and network shops wont offer this service, however they should be able to point you in the direction of somewhere local where you can get it done.

I don’t know what the verb is for unlock (in a mobile sense) is, just explain that you want to put a different “carte SIM” (eg SFR or UK network) into your phone – they should know what you mean.

You should also be able to obtain the unlock code from your network (not the phone manufacturer), however they will charge for this – about £25 in the UK.