france telecom/wanadoo ADSL

Thanks to all the advice I got from this forum I now have broadband in my remote French hideaway.

Although I have no problem with web access, I am having difficulties both with mail (I want to keep my current mail arrangements and Outlook not move to a Wanadoo address) and also with using Skype.  I think the cause of these is the way L'Espace Wanadoo has taken over my machine.  I have tried uninstalling it and only installing the modem drivers (Sagem Fast 800 USB) but without success - a mixture of missing DLLs and no connection possible.

I don't need any services from FT/Wanadoo other than the broadband connection.  I know how to pick up any mail sent to my Wanadoo address using Outlook etc.

Has anyone else worked out how to kill L'Espace Wanadoo but still use the Wanadoo ADSL connection?

Tricky one so bear with my response. I can only detail what I did (again with Wanadoo and their software).

Firstly I hate their software. When I used to use dial-up modem, it use to lock-up my machine every day or so (such that it would not even shut down). When I created a standard dial-up connection it all worked fine non problems. Thus when I got their ADSL I did not want to use their software so:

I did install it to get the modem drivers (in my case a Thompson Speedtouch 510 Ethernet modem). Got it all working, then set-up a standard dial-up connection using Windoze (to the “Broadband device”). Got that working and then killed off all the Wanadoo software. I had to hunt around for quite a lot of it (e.g. in the start-up programs in the registry, etc.) but got there. This was stopping them running and not un-installing (as uninstalling would remove the drivers, DLL’s, etc.)

There were quite a few programs to kill off and how you do it depends on what other software you have and your confidence/IT capabilities. I tend to use a Spyware system as it gives you nice lists (e.g. Windoze anti-spyware or WinPatrol, but I’m sure there are loads). I had to search out start-up-groups in the start menu and anywhere the stuff could start-up. Also, I did not delete the “Wanadoo” connection in the “Connect To” list as I was unsure about it. I just created a new one and never with a different name and use that (never touching the Wanadoo one).

This is a fine way to do things as I actually talked to Wanadoo support after it all and they “talked me through doing it” (again) – so some of them are OK about it. The connection you set-up is pretty straight forward – I don’t remember having any great problems. I then connect to the internet manually and have the connection set to automatically reconnect should the line drop. Occasionally I have to manually reconnect.

I had a long talk to Thompson Speedtouch the other day as I broke my modem by upgrading the firmware with UK firmware. I asked them how I could use it as a true router rather than a “dial-up” connection and they said that such a technique was not approved for domestic use in France. I’m sure others may have achieved it but the said the approved protocols are PPPoA 0/35 and you need the “dial-up” connection (which is why my modem with the UK firmware would not even get ADSL sync.

I am not an expert, just trying to remember what I did. I use Outlook, though do collect mail from Wanadoo so unsure about any issues there (though there should not be any). I do use Skype (PC to PC between UK/France/Aus) and SkypeOut (UK/France/Aus) no problems so Wanadoo accepts that fine.

I’m sure there are loads of other ways of doing the same. You are far from the 1st person to want to kill L’Espace Wanadoo.

If the above does not help, do post back.

Regards

Ian

Hi there, just to add here my experience.

I have recently signed up for the Wanadoo ADSL 2+ and told them that I do not need their modem as I have brought my ADSL modem/router from UK.

The model I have is - http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834GT.php

So, I have patiently waited for the ADSL to arrive and without their nasty software, I have just configured the NETGEAR modem for the specific region, inserted all the details (username, password) and THAT was ALL.

My internet is FLYING - without ANY Wanadoo software polluting the PC.

I can recommend you this modem/router it is unbelievable!!

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Cakipak

I too have Netgear dg834 and would like to configure my connection manually rather then have all the Wanadoo software cluttering up the place. You mentioned that you entered your username and p/w (I've not received mine yet, I expect it in the next day or two) but don't you also have to tell your connection where to 'dial'? I sthis information available anywhere on the web? I've searched the francetelecom site in vain. I want to be ready to go as soon as my confirmation arrives! Is this information in the 'welcome' letter?

Nev

Look at your instructions for your netgear box, You use your browser to go to the netgear box's address, fill in your fti/ number and password when you recieve them from FT and that is it, as far as I remember, not forgetting to temporarily disable any firewall if you cannot access the address. Adsl is always on, so no dial up, just leave the router permantly connected ready to go when you fire up your computer. REMEMBER YOUR SECURITY - Antivirus, firewall, WEP etc. Happy surfing!

PS It took over a week for FT to enable my line for ADSL after I had my welcome letter and password, very frustrating!

Mikew

Thanks. The welcome letter arrived and I connected the DG834 as instructed. It seems happy, with all green LEDs but I can't get onto the web. I assume I need a connection setting up on the pc? Currently I have a Tiscali unlimited connection which dials via my internal modem. Don't I need to set up a 'wanadoo' connection but with 'never dial'?? Why can't they just publish the parameter settings instead of giving us all this software? I know some people prefer an automatic solution but I don't want Wanadoo software on my pc.

Regards

Nev