Help needed regarding ISp

Hi all.

I'm hoping someone can help me!!

I have internet connection through a modem and the ISp is Tiscali. We took a 12 month contract out in June 2004, but I received a letter in Jan 2005 which I didn't fully understand so I ignored it! Now I know what it was saying was that they were going to put the monthly charge upto 30€ per month and re-start my contract from February! So I still have another 7 months to run on this contract.

Tiscali can give us ADSL and their connection speeds are frankly a joke. Both free & Wanadoo can give us ADSL and cheaper! Do I really have to stick out this contract with Tiscali for another 7 months? Is there anyway out of it? My French is not good enough to attempt a phone call, and half the time I can't access my e-mails, so that's out too!

Can anyone offer any advice, other than continuing to pay Tiscali and taking up an offer from another ISP?

Thanks

Can only say that we opened an account with a company which was taken over by Tiscali 3 years ago. After about 9 months, we could no longer get a connection and all emails to Tiscali were ignored - They don't give a phone or address contact on their website, obviously to make themselves as difficult as possible to contact. After trying many ways to cancel the account, we eventually, after paying for a useless service for 2 years,we waited until new bank cards were issued at which time Tiscali wrote us a number of threatening letters for 14 Euros which we deliberately ignored. Eventually an english speaker phoned me to say that unless I paid I would be Sued. I had kept copies of my numerous emails telling them to cancel and he said 'we don't respond to emails, and to cancel we had to send a registered letter' - no mention of this at the start!

I told him to go ahead and sue me, mentioning the above points, as having been involved in high level marketing for many years,I was in a position to get them plenty of free publicity and a close friend who is a QC was also interested in this case.

' Thank you for your call and goodbye'. Next day he phoned saying our account had now been closed.

We are now with 9online with no problems. Wouldn't touch Tiscali or their ilk again with the proverbial barge pole.