Wifi connections

I'm about to buy a second computer for my wife's use. It will have a wifi card, and I want to be able to allow both machines to access the net and use the same printer. I know that wifi will allow this, but I've no idea what other bits I shall need to make this work. My existing computer is not wifi enabled. Would some kind soul please point me in the direction of where I can get information on this subject

Try doing a search for either:

internet connection sharing

and/or

wireless home networking

"internet connection sharing" is the term used for Windows built-in networking support for sharing connections.

The second query should give you some more details on how to do it with wireless networking.

There are several things we would need to know to advise you properly but let's make a few assumptions. Firstly, I will assume that you already connect to the internet via an ADSL connection. Secondly, I will assume that your first computer has an ethernet port (10/100Mbps). Thirdly, I will assume that you are running Windows XP on both computers.

If this is the case then it is very simple to achieve your aim. I would recommend you buy an ADSL modem/router/wifi gateway - something like the NETGEAR DG834GT - look at:

http://www.materiel.net/details_DG834GT.html for more information and also a good place to buy - you can also read more on the US manufacturers website: http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834GT.php

This unit connects to your internet account and then either computer can access the internet without the other computer needing to be on. It also "networks" your computers so that you can share documents and printers etc. It is very easy to set up. Perhaps more importantly, if you buy this item from a french company (with, therefore, a valid waranty), you still get software that runs in English so there shouldn't be any language problems. You can download a copy of the user instructions in English from the Netgear website.

All you do is connect the DG834GT to your computer using the ethernet cable which is supplied with the unit and also connect the modem telephone that is supplied to your phone socket (they even supply an adsl filter if you need another one). You then need to carry out a fairly simple automatic set up procedure for the modem and after that you just let Windows XP do the rest by running the "set up a new network wizard". You run the wizard on both computers and hey-presto it will all work. Very simple but you have a system that is quite advanced.

If you don't have an ethernet card in your computer then you can easily purchase one of these also from Material.net and it is very easy to fit into a spare pci slot on your computer.

If you first computer isn't running XP then all this is still probably possible but the set up procedures may be more tricky.

Finally, if you don't already have good firewall and anti-virus software I would urge you to do something about that straight away for both computers. Don't rely on the Windows firewall. Stick with one of the big reputable brands like Norton or McAfee and make sure your software is configured to automatically download updates etc. and whatever you do keep your annual subscriptions up to date.

Good luck.

What a service!

Thanks to you both for your suggestions. I think Eslier has practically written me an instruction manual, and I'll certainly follow it. As they say, when all else fails, RTFI. Hopefully I won't need to come back asking any more questions, but it's nice to know that there's this sort of help available if I need it.

Hi, eres my bit

As you will have a wifi card in one it is possible to just get another wifi card for yours, its a nightmare getting them to connect to each other, I managed it once but cant for the life of me do it again, even manufacturer cant help, so i would suggest just getting an access point, not got one myself yet but believe they are easy to set up.

Have a look on here http://www.rueducommerce.fr/index/2/point%20d%27access

Thanks to our computer literate son we have set up a wifi connection (and LAN) between our PC and laptop.

We have a Belkin modem and wireless card and we have had no problems whatsoever. Our son set it up so I do not know how technical you have to be to do that.