Livebox - cannot configure IP address

Hi we live next door to my parents in Brittany.  We have both just signed onto ADSL Livebox - I was able to set mine up no probs but my dads has been a pain.  His livebox is connected fine but i cannot configure the internet access on it.  It tells me it cannot find IP address.  Although on the Livebox configuration page on the PC it shows an IP address in the top left hand side but when I check the "Bluetooth" settings it is showing  a slightly different IP address (WAN?).  I cannot see how to set the IP address.  Short of getting a PC engineer down at a cost, does anyone have any suggestions and indeed can anyone recommend a good PC engineer to come to our house to install the blooming thing properly before my dad cracks up!  We are in Dept 35.

Thanks. Slacko

which box do you havem, sagem or inventel ? what is the set up confuration. How is the PC connected to the livebox ?

First check that you have unchecked the 'Internet Connection Firewall' under the Advanced Tab as this is for direct connections only - in your case you are going via a local network through a router. In XP this is configured under settings->network connections -> right click on the PC-BOX conection Properties -> select internet protocol -> click on Advanced tab, top left. If this was checked, uncheck and try a reinstall.

For the SAGEM, english instructions from http://lgsagem.free.fr/Telechargement/DriverFast3202/Documentation/SAGEM%20FAST%203202%20(livebox)%20ENGLISH.pdf see chapter 5 for basic set up.

The livebox has various sub-network addresses (ip address sets) depending on which of connections you are using - e.g it is normal that the bluetooth or WifI connection is on a different subnet (ip address set) than for example a fixed ethernet connection between the box and the PC. e.g for the SAGEM the bluetooth ip addresses are of the form 192.168.4.X and the Wifi 192.168.3.X . The magic or routing between the internet and all these different sub networks is handled by the box.

It is recommended for easy set up that the PC and livebox is set up for DHCP. I.e you should not manually configure an IP address on the PC.

However, If you do, it will depend on which connection the PC is connected to. For example according to the SAGEM instructions if you are using the red ethernet connection the PC IP address will need to be of the form 168.192.5.X. If using the yellow ethernet connection it will be of the form 192.168.6.X (for WiFi or Bluetooth see above for IP address ranges) where X is anything from 2 - 254. The sub net mask on the PC will be of 255.255.255.0 for most simply home setups. in XP this is done as above . E.g  settings->network connections -> right click on the PC-BOX conection Properties -> select internet protocol -> Properties -> Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) .

The IP address of the internet connection itself will only become available  when you have logged in, unless Wanadoo have provided you with a fixed IP address connection this IP address will change each time you log in/reconnect.

regs

Richard.

Thanks for the reply Richard ....I will have a fiddle with it today .... in the meantime I have had trouble with my PC also with livebox and managed to reconnect but now my speed is just 54mbps instead of the 128k it was yesterday! Any thoughts?

I think im just going to get a PC eningeer in coz it is way over my head.

Arrghhhh.