Digital Freeview combined DVD

We have been looking at getting a digital freeview box combined with a hard disk and DVD burner ie Panasonic DMRE560. After speaking to a major retailer in the UK they advised purchase of a box by Sony or Panasonic but do not know whether they would opperate in France. Also would one box serve more than one TV in the some house.

Thanks Diana

As you mention Freeview I presume you mean terrestrial digital TV (i.e. via the aerial rather than by satellite). The French TNT uses the same system as the British Freeview, so you would be able to receive the limited number of French TNT channels as long as TNT is available in your area - there are not many transmitters as yet, but things are improving.

What you won't be able to do is receive British Freeview terrestrial signals in France.

I understand there is a slight difference between systems which means that old British Freeview receivers may not work in France, but newer ones, which would certainly include DVD-equipped boxes, will.

The boxes will work with any recent French TV - to be certain, ensure that the TV is dual standard PAL/SECAM (just about all TVs in France are).

If you are talking about digital satellite TV then it's a whole different matter of course.

In believe they should work but I do not think anybody has ever posted who has taken a UK Freeview box with them :

They box will only tune into French Digital Terrestrial TV (Television Numerique Terrestrial) which only covers a part of France. Check local French hypermarkets or TV shops to check you area.  Provided the box also has a SCART it should also record from a SKY digibox.  The SECAM PAL argument does not work apply as I believe TNT are compressed using MPEG3.  It will not receive BBC1, BBC 2 ITV etc in France.

I would also run a price comparison using say Kelkoo.Fr as it will may a lot easier dealing with guarantees etc if you are moving full time to France

Thank you both for your replies. I should have mentioned that where we are in Normanday we can pick up UK terestrial TV via a normal ariel. I don't know if this would make a diference to being able to receive the UK digital ones.

To cut a long story short we just want to be able to receive more channels without having to pay for something like Sky.

Thanks

Diana

No, you won't get British Freeview in Normandy. The nearest transmitter is the Channel Islands and that, as far as I know, is not enabled for Freeview. Signal strength is unlikely to be sufficient.

If you want British TV then satellite is your only alternative. You don't need to subscribe to Sky though, there are alternative solutions.