Wanadoo - Reporting Abuse?

[quote]Hi I've just spent ages trawling around the Wanadoo.fr site trying to find an address to which I can report unwanted (and rather nasty) emails. No joy though. Can anyone help or advise? Thanks, M...[/quote]

Go into Wanadoo messagerie "acceuil", on the left there is a facility for "Anti-spam plus" which is like Hotmails spam filter box but you have to pay for it, its 1.50€ a month.

I'm not sure you can report E mails to Wanadoo as such but you can block the sender, if you are using the Wanadoo messagerie, there is a window on the left called "Indesirables"  This blocks the senders, OE has the same facility to block senders.

The standard email address for all ISP's is, in your case [email protected] you should include the header and the actual message content.

If you want you can use www.spamcop.com enter the header information and it will track the email back to the ISP from which it was sent and their email address for reporting abuse. It also puts the address in a international database for email software to use (like AOL) for spam blockers.

Thank you both so much for your incredibly prompt replies.  I have now reported the abuse directly to Hotmail.com, where the author resides, and to Spamcop. 

I am just about to report to Wanadoo.fr as well but the email really upset me and translation is taking a bit longer than it normally would.    Or could I just send it in English? (she said hopefully). 

Thanks again, Minou.

If you have reported it but not forwarded it, keep it, in case they want it forwarded. If you have forwarded it, delete it altogether.  Under NO circumstances reply to these E mails. 

It is sad fact that in today's world you have to tolerate this sort of thing.  Hotmail used to be chronic for non- personal fishing "offensive" Emails ending up in your INBOX,  but they have really cleaned up that side of things with their spam filters, but obviously not on the sent mail.

Thanks again Ron

The email is still sitting, unopened, in my OE inbox, so I will hang onto it just in case.   And I would certainly never reply. 

As soon as I saw the Subject line this morning I opened it via back-door (right click) and then cut/pasted the header into the Abuse emails to Hotmail, Wanadoo and Spamcop.    There was no body text but I would have still instantly dismissed it as yet another piece of spam except that a study of the header revealed I was the only recipient.  And, given the Subject, that spooked me.

I’m very grateful for your help, Minou.

I’m afraid that (in my opinion) there is little point in reporting SPAM problems to Wanadoo. In my experience they will ignore it and are often indirectly responsible for it. If you subscribe to Wanadoo they either sell your e-mail address on or carry out SAM mail shots on their behalf. I had a massive argument with one spam sender then it turned-out that they actually sub-contracted the spam sending to “another organisation” and would not reveal who that was.

Thing is the wanadoo.fr e-mail address I receive the spam on has never been given out to anybody (as it is only the receiver of a domain redirection so nobody ever sees mail from it or to it) so it is only wanadoo who could have given the name out.

You can only contact the sender domain/ISP and if its Wanadoo then give up.

I may be cynical about this but I have spent hours trying to get Wanadoo to do something about this without any success. Maybe they do it to sell their “anti-spam” package. Personally I don’t like the anti-spam packages as they can class some messages you actually want as spam and when they do that you still have to look through your spam folders so you might as well nit have the package.

But the good news is that Bill Gates is on the case ()

Ian

[quote]Thanks again Ron The email is still sitting, unopened, in my OE inbox, so I will hang onto it just in[/quote]

Minou

That E mail may not be as sinister as you think.  It is a well known result of infection by a worm type virus on a computer for multiple E mails to be sent out to all the people in that computer's address box. Some virus's also add some pretty lurid subject lines to these E mails. You may have received one of those and the person who sent it may not have known, however, if it was offering "physical "enhancements" I am afraid that there are 000's of these out there and you just have to delete them..

I had a worm once, I stupidly opened an attachment before I got decent virus protection  and that sent E mails to all my contacts.  As I worked from home a lot, it sent some pretty lurid subject lines to my Director, General Manager and work colleagues, the good thing was I found out about these E mails as they were rejected by the company firewall and returned as they too had the virus attached to them.