Follow this link (in French);

http://www.generation-nt.com/dossiers/lire/12/Tout-savoir-sur-l-ADSL-l-ADSL2-et-le-RE-ADSL/

From what I can gather it appears to be a lower speed version of ADSL (up to 1 Mbps - oh how I wish my dial up connection was that slow! ) with the principal advantage that it can reach subscribers who are up to 8km from their local exchange which is too far for ADSL (up to 5km) and ADSL2+ (up to 3km). No doubt others will know more about it and correct any mistakes or gaps in my answer.

Hope that helps.

Richard

Oh wow. Jealous I am. That site says:

• ADSL : 8 Mbps / 1 Mbps (débits théoriques maximums respectivement en réception et en émission)
  • ADSL2+ : 25 Mbps / 2 Mbps
  • RE-ADSL : 1 Mbps / -

So re-adsl is still faster than what BT might sell as ADSL in the uk, but a bit enigmatic on what the upload speeds are !

But for all of you on normal adsl (8 down 1 up) please note that ALL Uk adsl has an upstream limit of 256k (i.e one quarter meg). Or so I believe.

John

FT have major problems with reADSL if that is all you will be able to get. Our local friends (1 KM away) have gone from installation yesterday to installation 1/3/06. The top speed quoted is 56K (no that is not a typo - we have checked it out). We are far more rural and have just been updated from between 1-8 mbit - they are in town (total inhabitants 600...) but the local exchange cannot take any more lines so they are stuck with no broadband.

Our area will be totally upgraded 'except' for those who have to have reADSL - it is a lottery and FT do have real problems with this - there have been various articles - some on the sites quoted for checking date of installation.

ReADSL is basically extended ADSL. If you do an eligibility test on http://www.ariase.com/fr/ this will show you whether you may be eligible for ReADSL or when in the future ReADSL will be available to you.

Essentially those with an Affaiblissement of less than 70 DB are likely to be able to have ADSL if available. ReADSL then comes into its own if your affaiblissement is betwwen 70 DB and 75DB. Provided your exchange has ReADSL you are then quite likely to be able to have a broadband connection.

Many communes throughout France were due to have ReADSL available from 1/09/05. On the day, France Telecom then put this back without explanation to 1/11/05. Then, again without explanation they have now postponed to 1/3/06.

There are many people (myself included) who are very frustrated by this.

On Ariase website there is info on this, dated 31/10 and also some forum threads. Makes interesting reading !!