What is a 'livebox'?

I'm on ADSL not far from Carcassonne. Unfortunately we can only get 1/2 meg here but it's better than none at all!!! A little while back I was offered a livebox by FT on a cold call from FT. As I didn't know what it was, she didn't speak very clearly, she didn't speak any English and I didn't know what she was on about I refused it. Since then I hae heard various bits about it but not what it is or does? Can anyone enlighten me please?

John.

John Do a google.co.uk  all will be revealed or have a look at http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/connection/speed/broadbandlivesetup.htm

The French installation is exactly the same.  Basically it is a wireless modem for use with Wanadoo ADSL and it enables you to connect more more than one PC to the internet without any wires.  If you are a wanadoo user it was not a cold call, they call all their users when ADSL is available and offer a Livebox or if you only have one PC a free ADSL modem, you can rent the Livebox for 3€ a month.  I think they are great and now have no wires to trip over.  Livebox also enables TV  and cheap phone calls.

Hi Ron, that looks good. I will investigate further, partly because I'm having great fun trying to get our laptop working online at the same time as our main PC. It's a budgerigar having to change the phone cable over all the time and it would be lovely to sit on the terrace and have ADSL too. Goda get the rays in the Aude   !

John.

A "Livebox" is, essentially, an ADSL modem/router supplied by Wanadoo. If you have more than one computer then you can use this box to enable them all to connect to the Internet using the same ADSL connection.

If you signup for Wanadoo ADSL you don't have to have a Livebox, you can opt for the simle ADSL modem through which one computer will connect to the ADSL internet connection. For the simple modem you are only charged a one off fee (usually 1€) with no extra monthly charges above the normal ADSL connection tarif.

If you go for the simple modem option you can still add a wireless router/modem of your own which will effectively achieve the same as with a Livebox. This is what I do and use a Netgear DG834GT as a number of others on this foprum appear to do also which works very well. This may be a better option as many people seem to have problems with the Livebox.

A 512k connection will still give you speeds of at least ten times faster than what you currently get with a dial up connection.

Hi Eslier, thanks for the gen. What sort of price is the Netgear box and the wireless card for the laptop, have you any idea please? Wanadoo say that you can connect 2 PCs, each with it's own 'modem' to a single ADSL line, but our line must be a fairly low grade because when I do that our main PC comes up with the message that the bandwidth is reduced and won't connect. We are going into FT today because they are still charging us the full old price for our connection. I tried to upgrade, but at the same time we moved house and after the upgrade to 1 meg was sorted the guy found out that where we were moving to would only support 1/2 meg.

Also strictly speaking the ADSL 'modem' isn't a modem because you don't have to convert  any anolog modulation to or from digital, it is all digital to start with. I can't remember the correct name for it, but 'modem' is easier I suppose, everyone knows whatit looks like. Sorry I'm not trying to pick holes really and I DO appreciate the info given.

As an retired IBM mainframe hardware engineer I would rather spend a week on a mainframe than 5 mins on a cornered rat called a PC.

John.