Extension Cables & Broadband - Don't work?

Hi,

My ADSL will not work if I use an extension cable to extend the main pnone line to an upstairs study.

I have done this many times in the UK, but now a simple 7.5m French extension, bought from a DIY shed will not allow ADSL to work at all.  I have tried 2 different leads - is this normal, or can I get a higher grade lead from a better store somewhere?

This is a real pain at the moment, I hope there is an easy way out...

Many thanks

Hi

I've got a rather long extension (upstairs, round two doors, etc.) phone socket wired with cheap telephone wire. And the ADSL works fine.

I've got an extension lead so that I can work in the garden in summer. This time, I bought a 50m ADSL specific wire. Works just the same.

But, I'm thinking wifi is the way to go ?

Peter

You could do the same job using a Livebox if you're with Wanadoo or whatever the equivalent is with another supplier without any cables. The downside is you either have to pay about 100 euros to purchase one outright or rent it for 3 euros per month. I'm using one for exactly that reason, albeit in a modern house without any thick stone walls.

Benjamin

[quote user="Benjamin"]

You could do the same job using a Livebox if you're with Wanadoo or whatever the equivalent is with another supplier without any cables. The downside is you either have to pay about 100 euros to purchase one outright or rent it for 3 euros per month. I'm using one for exactly that reason, albeit in a modern house without any thick stone walls.

Benjamin

[/quote]

Tiscali/Alice supply a free box with a wi-fi card fitted. They also give free calls in France (local and regional) via VOIP. €30 a month for unlimited.

I live at the top of a reasonably high forested hill and the service is very very good.

It may be the quality of the signal - if you are a longway from the exchange so on the limit of ADSL, the extra extension may be all that's needed to make it not work.  On the otherhand you may just have a dodgy cable so I would start by replacing it with a quality one.

If you telephone FranceTelecom support they will tell you quite categorically that you mustn't use a 'ralonge'.

My connection wouldn't work initially (Livebox or NetGear) with the extension lead, but once I had got it working at the main socket I tried again with the extension and it was fine! Doh!