Upgrading to broadband.

Hello everyone,

At long last I am changing from dial up to broadband and I have subscribed to the basic BT 2mb service which supplies a BT Voyager 205 router.

My litle home network consists of a main PC and a laptop which are connected for sharing by a Linksys switch with 5 ports.

The PC currently acts as the gateway to the net.

The 205 Router apparently comes with a usb and rj45 connection and BT recommend using both to run 2 computers.

Can I not just simply use the router as the gateway and connect it directly to the switch ?

Will this give me what I have now but with both computers on broadband ?

Will I have to manually configure the system, I know a little about ip addressing and I assume that the router will become the gateway with the address 192.168.0.1.and will dynamically assign addresses to the 2 computers.

My reason for not wanting to use th usb connection is because I've heard it causes all sorts of problems.

All help gratefully received.

Happy Christmas  BTW.

Jenny.

Jenny

I think you're right to avoid the USB port as it is problematic. I think you'll find what you need here.

http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/static.ip.address.php

It explains the settings for fixed IP addresses and can be used for both of your computers.

Fixed IP addressing is best for small networks because you know exactly what each computers IP address is.

Hope this helps.

Trevor