motto:- To trust is good

Not to trust is better

old arabic proverb

cheers gang

Chris

Loads of threads on this over the last couple of months and

you will find loads of different opinions expressed in them – and they are all

correct.  In practice they are all

pretty much as good (or as bad) as each other.

Check which ISPs can or will offer you what services as

there is no point in selecting an ISP that offers you no or too limited a

service (a geographical consideration depending on exactly where you live – i.e. your local exchange and distance house to exchange).

Everybody (myself included) has their “pet hates” and their “favourites”.  Remember that when ISPs bundle stuff in, in

practice you are really paying for it (all hidden in the price you pay).  None of them are giving stuff away.  Also, their offers are continually changing

so a good deal today will be bettered next week by somebody else.  If XXX is offering a good price today, in a

few months that price may have changed and a different ISP will be offering a

better price.  They mostly tend to like

12 month contracts so you normally cannot keep changing.  Another thing is that some offer “introductory”

prices (low rates for e.g. the 1st 6 months).

Ian

There are a number of different suppliers and pretty much all of them offer low headline rates which rapidly increase when you get into the detail. Generally speaking TV via broadband is only available in major conurbations where the lines are degrouped.

Everyone has there own opinions on ISP's it's a bit like asking which is the best football team!

For  a combined broadband and phone service I have never yet found a better or less expensive supplier than Free - www.free.fr . At 29.99€ with unlimited free calls to French landlines and free international calls to 15 countries including, UK, Spain, USA, Australia etc, they appear to be unbeatable at the moment, certainly in non degroupe areas.

Everyone has there own opinions on ISP's it's a bit like asking which is the best football team!

Sorry Les, the former may well be true but the latter, excuse me !!

All together now for the best team and here's a little clue ........

Blue is the colour, football is the game

We're all together, and winning is our aim

So cheer us on through the sun and rain

'cause *******   ******* is our name......

Sorry,  its just that it's Saturday....... again !!

[quote user="Miki"]Everyone has there own opinions on ISP's it's a bit like asking which is the best football team!

Sorry Les, the former may well be true but the latter, excuse me !!

All together now for the best team and here's a little clue ........

Blue is the colour, football is the game

We're all together, and winning is our aim

So cheer us on through the sun and rain

'cause *******   ******* is our name......

Sorry,  its just that it's Saturday....... again !!

[/quote]

As I wrote it, I thought to myself, Miki will have something to say on that!

Good luck

Going to have to ask a really stupid supplementary question I am afraid !

Moving to France in April, will need (naturally) phone and internet connection;  dont have broadband in UK but have (just) enough understanding to know that you cant get broadband everywhere in UK - assume this to be the same in France?

Thus, actually two stupid questions !!

1.   With the Free system described above, do you still need to pay some kind of phone line rental to, say, the French equivalent of BT ?

2.   Is this available in all areas of France (we are going to be rural Limousin)?   I would wait and ask neighbours but although they seem really sweet and relatively friendly, my gut feeling says that such issues will be way behind the welfare of their cows and not something they will have experience of !

Any responses appreciated.

[quote user="londoneye"]

Going to have to ask a really stupid supplementary question I am afraid !

Moving to France in April, will need (naturally) phone and internet connection;  dont have broadband in UK but have (just) enough understanding to know that you cant get broadband everywhere in UK - assume this to be the same in France?

Thus, actually two stupid questions !!

1.   With the Free system described above, do you still need to pay some kind of phone line rental to, say, the French equivalent of BT ?

2.   Is this available in all areas of France (we are going to be rural Limousin)?   I would wait and ask neighbours but although they seem really sweet and relatively friendly, my gut feeling says that such issues will be way behind the welfare of their cows and not something they will have experience of !

Any responses appreciated.

[/quote]

No, you cannot get broadband everywhere, once you have a telephone number you can find out if you can get it. Normally you have to pay for the FT line unless you live in a zone degroupe which would be in a major city.